Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Remington 700 XCR Tactical 338 LM

Hi guys, hope you are all well. Currently i only have 1 firearm and its the Remington 700 XCR Tactical chambered in 338lm. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on this rifle as it wasn't very popular at the time when i bought it. For some reason it wasn't even shown on Remington's website but recently iv noticed that its been added to their website.
    which
    I haven't been able to put as much rounds through it as i would like but i have put about 40+ through it so i can maybe give my "first thoughts". The rifle is currently equipped with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope, Rudolph 6-9 bipod, Aim tactical bolt knob and an AimZonic suppressor. Most of the shots iv taken with it was with the standard muzzle break which took away enough recoil however the rifle was just way too loud so i recently ditched it for the suppressor.

My 1st time out with the rifle was at an underground shooting range in pretoria with a 100m range. Since i was still getting the rifle zeroed at an underground range with a big rifle installed with a muzzle break, id be lying if i say it wasn't intimidating. After i had it zeroed i could take a few shots just to experience the rifle a bit. The trigger, which is a X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger was pretty awesome, very crisp pull and when you adjust it to your desired weight its great! One thing thing that i need to get used to is the bolt when loading and reloading. Since this is an extreme condition rifle the bolt doesn't slide very smoothly as my dads Sauer 375H&H but its meant to be like that so ill just need to get used to that.

The 2nd time out was a hunting trip with my dad. This was still with the muzzle break that the rifle came with but i thought that since we would be in the open maybe the sound wouldn't be as hectic, i was very very wrong. The rifle didn't give me the normal ring in the ears like my dad's 375, this one gave me a sting almost like my ear drum was pierced with a needle. Already not feeling comfortable with the rifle i decided to get some ear plugs and test it at the range on the farm. The 1st few shots without the ear plugs were pretty good but after i used them i the shots weren't even on the paper. Turned out that whoever mounted my scope didn't tighten it down properly and it came loose from the recoil. So for the rest of the trip i decided to borrow my dad's rifle for the rest of the trip instead of wasting time and expensive ammo to get it on paper.

So the 3rd and last time out with the rifle i was at zwartkops with the new suppressor and i had the scope mounted by the guys from Morkel and Krause at Safari and Outdoor in pretoria so that i wouldn't have any more surprises that might spoil my day. This time it was a big success, suppressor made life so much easier and now i was able to get the rifle zeroed again. The rifle shoots super accurate and with the suppressor you need to make sure that you dont shoot all your ammo away! All in all im pretty happy with the rifle and i cant wait to take it out again!

User

Default Re: Remington 700 XCR Tactical 338 LM

The Op's Inc brake that is on your rifle did not rate well at the Precision Rifle Blog muzzle brake test...in fact it came in last for both .308 and 300 Norma Magnum for recoil reduction-where it only reduced by 20% compared to an APA Fat Bastard at the top of the list which reduced by 44%. Sounds like you are set though, using a suppressor.

That rifle looks badass though man, with the 26" fluted barrel and the DBM. You chose right getting the 338 version which comes with a DBM and brake. Once you are settled in and feel you've reached the limit of the rifle's out the box accuracy potential......look into bedding that Bell&Carlson stock which will surely give you gains in accuracy.

Is your scope a 1st or 2nd focal plane and are you going to be reloading for the XCR Tac?

Dude......no ear pro......really? You won't do that again yeah. Suppressor is maybe okay but with a brake......eina!!!!

User

Lol damn didn't know the break was that bad. The recoil didn't feel to bad compared to the 375 so i just assumed its ok lol. But yeah the suppressor makes a big difference in the noise department. Dont think ill shoot without it unless i want to seriously stretch the capabilities of the rifle.

The scope is a 2nd focal plane. Doubt ill be reloading tbh, i dont get a massive amount of time to take her out so currently iv still got some Lapua 250gr lock base ammo which will last me a pretty long time.

Lmao never again!!! Dont know why i thought that would be good but yeah lesson learned the hard way lol. I used ear protection at the underground range and once at the hunting farm. But after going without it i realised it was stupid lol. The brake makes a huge difference, the rifle sounds more like a .22 now, maybe a little softer.

User

G'Day Marco, I hope the following may be of some assistance to you, regarding your rifle.

I have had a Rem 700 MLR rifle (in .338 Lap Mag), for a few years now.
    FYI, the first thing I did with this rifle (before I even shot it), was to set it up in the lathe, and machine off the factory muzzle brake.
    I did this in such a way, that did not remove or damage the factory cut muzzle thread (5/8" x 24 TPI x 1/2" ish long).
    While I had it set up in the lathe for this task, I also recrowned the muzzle, etc, and then later, lapped the bolt lugs and adjusted the trigger.

Shortly after this, I then machined up one of my own 4 port (etc) muzzle brakes, and threaded it to suit the factory muzzle thread.
    This was a Proto-Type M/brake, specifically for the .338 Lap Mag.
    Whilst this design works fine (it minimises recoil and muzzle rise but the muzzle blast, is BRUTAL), I have since worked out a better way of doing this (but haven't got around to making this yet).
    So, in my experience, Any M/Brake will work better than the Remington factory brake but the smart thing to do, is where both ear plugs and ear muffs!

Now that I had a platform, I then machined up a Proto-Type suppressor for it as well.
    This was pretty small compared to most other commercial .338 Lap Mag suppressors (38mm Diameter x 190mm OAL, and 540 Grams iirc), and it also works very well.

Here is a link, to this same rifle (work in progress), including some loading data and groups shot with these; https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34348

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

User

Very cool info! Thanks Homer ill definitely have a look. Currently i'm completely in love with the suppressor and i doubt ill ever shoot without it! Once you have it, you dont want to shoot without it lol

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Bruwer View Post
    Doubt ill be reloading tbh, i dont get a massive amount of time to take her out so currently iv still got some Lapua 250gr lock base ammo which will last me a pretty long time.
    Let me just say that you will shoot so much more if you do reload. Self loaded ammo can be built for under R20 a round. The factory ammo goes for R40 to over R100 each!

I have 338wm and let me assure you, you need trigger time to get comfortable behind your rifle.

Lastly, even with suppressor, never shoot without hearing protection. You will destroy your hearing very quick without it!

All the best and enjoy you rifle!

User

Well i think i still have around 130 rounds left and they should last me pretty long. I might look at reloading down the line thanks. Yeah trigger time is important i agree, just need to find the time to take her out. Thanks for the advice mate!

User

No probs Marco, happy to help.

I forgot to mention (and none of the self proclaimed "experts" on here, worked this out), if the muzzle on this rifle is threaded, why didn't I just unscrew the factory M/Brake?
    FYI, Remington use something resembling Loctite, to retain the M/Brake on the barrel thread. And it doesn't like being undone (without damaging the muzzle thread)!

Yes Marco, as fkritzinger suggested, more trigger time is exceedingly important, especially with these Big Bangers.

Doh!
    Homer

User

Quote Originally Posted by HomerOz View Post

I forgot to mention (and none of the self proclaimed "experts" on here, worked this out), if the muzzle on this rifle is threaded, why didn't I just unscrew the factory M/Brake?
    FYI, Remington use something resembling Loctite, to retain the M/Brake on the barrel thread. And it doesn't like being undone (without damaging the muzzle thread)!
    From long range hunting :

I wrote the book on removing the brake on this rifle. You will need an accurate infrared temp gun. Using map gas, heat the brake right at the base of it to 450 degrees quickly. Propane takes a little too long and puts too much heat into the barrel. Acetylene is way to hot and too hard to regulate. Do not use it. Slip a couple close fitting phillips screw drivers through the holes and spin it off. Even with the heat it may have 30 to 75 foot pounds of torque holding it on. The 450 degree heat melts the permanent loctite used at the factory.

User

You might want to go for a hearing test

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast