Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default LookING for a big bore

Hi guys has anyone got advise on a big bore. I am looking at getting a 458 lott. Is it over kilk ?

Should I rather look at an 375 or an 416 ?

User

Default Re: LookING for a big bore

What's the intended purpose?

User

+1

User

Unless you are a PH, guiding clients on dangerous game hunts or a trail guide, guiding clients in big five areas, it most certainly is overkill and a .375 or .416 is a more logical choice. That does not mean that you should not get a .458 Lott. However, do yourself a favor and shoot one before you commit to buying it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Unless you are a PH, guiding clients on dangerous game hunts or a trail guide, guiding clients in big five areas, it most certainly is overkill and a .375 or .416 is a more logical choice. That does not mean that you should not get a .458 Lott. However, do yourself a favor and shoot one before you commit to buying it.
    +1 , this IMHO is exactly correct , I own several big bores including a Verney Carron.470 and I can tell you that my .458 Lott , that I only use for back up is my worst recoiling rifle and my most unpleasant to shoot .

it does however fulfill a specific requirement for me .

from a hunting perspective although not remotely similar the 375 and one of the 416's offer a much better choice.

User

Buy a .375 H&H Magnum CZ and start hunting..you will not look back again... Moderate recoil, huge choice of bullets , available brass and bullets right through the world ..you can hunt anything from a Suni to an elephant... you really do not need anything more to suite your purpose..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Buy a .375 H&H Magnum CZ and start hunting..you will not look back again... Moderate recoil, huge choice of bullets , available brass and bullets right through the world ..you can hunt anything from a Suni to an elephant... you really do not need anything more to suite your purpose..
    wise words from Gert .

Thank you for the advise guys. I am not a PH.

I just like the idea of a big bore. And will use it as a all round hunting rifle from any game that I want to shoot.

I do understand the recoil will be rough but that can be adjusted to I think.

User

Out of the above options the 375 is definitely the best all-rounder.

While it is possible to become used to more recoil, it will still be unpleasant which leads to less range time. Also, nobody has ever shot more accurately thanks to increased recoil.

Have a look at a Howa chambered in 375 Ruger. You will then be able to decide if you need more gun without having spent a lot of money on something you might begin to despise after shooting a few times.

User

But a 375 is not a big bore?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast