Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default DSS points reduction question

I hope this hasn't been addressed anywhere else.
    I joined SADPA last year and did quite a few club and league shoots. Even did Africa champs.
    I also applied for DSS and received it. By the end of the year I had 34 DSS points (as indicated on the SADPA website).

From the SADPA website:
    DSS points reduction -20 : 01 January 2017 - The removal of 20 Points for all members with DSS certificates issued prior to 31 December 2015 has been implemented. The need and reason for this has been communicated with members before.
    If they reduced my DSS points by 20, then I should have 14 points left over from last year. Yet I only have 4 (and that was from the Classifier I did a couple of weeks ago).

Is this correct or am I missing something? If it is, surely they should change the wording to indicate that the 20 point reduction is just a check to see if you still qualify for DSS (after the reduction, if you have 0 points OR a positive balance, you're GTG, else you lose DSS status).

User

Default Re: DSS points reduction question

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    I hope this hasn't been addressed anywhere else.
    I joined SADPA last year and did quite a few club and league shoots. Even did Africa champs.
    I also applied for DSS and received it. By the end of the year I had 34 DSS points (as indicated on the SADPA website).

From the SADPA website:

If they reduced my DSS points by 20, then I should have 14 points left over from last year. Yet I only have 4 (and that was from the Classifier I did a couple of weeks ago).

Is this correct or am I missing something? If it is, surely they should change the wording to indicate that the 20 point reduction is just a check to see if you still qualify for DSS (after the reduction, if you have 0 points OR a positive balance, you're GTG, else you lose DSS status).
    The points only do something if you have less the 20 at the end of the year.
    If you have 2000 and did not acquire 20 in the last year you still do not qualify for DSS.

In short you need 20 points every year. More does not make you more dedicated. Less and you need to motivate why you failed to do the minimum required.

Why they removed them all. I do not know but it makes no difference.

User

The whole "-20" thing has always been a bit confusing to me, as it leads to the mistaken impression that if you can build up, say, 40 points in one year, you're covered for DSS for two years, which is not the case.

The way it actually works is that you start at 0 every year, and as The Beast says, need to hit at least 20 points for the year. Perhaps this change is to try get the website to more accurately reflect reality.

User

You only need 10 points a year to maintain DSS as long as your total remains above 0.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dukren View Post
    You only need 10 points a year to maintain DSS as long as your total remains above 0.
    This

User

Well colour me even more confused!

User

In terms of SADPA rules you require at least 20 points to be considered for DSS. After that you require a minimum of 10 points a year and a positive balance of points to maintain DSS. Each year 20 points is deducted from your total.

What happened to the OP might just be an error. He should contact the SADPA office and get it rectified.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dukren View Post
    In terms of SADPA rules you require at least 20 points to be considered for DSS. After that you require a minimum of 10 points a year and a positive balance of points to maintain DSS. Each year 20 points is deducted from your total.

What happened to the OP might just be an error. He should contact the SADPA office and get it rectified.
    This changes things a bit. Thanks for the clarification.

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    This changes things a bit. Thanks for the clarification.

Well, if you need 10 points and a "positive" balance to maintain your DSS but 20 points are deducted every year, I would recommend you get 20 points or more every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast