Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fined for not having renewed licence

I'm wondering a bit about this article, what with GFSA's current campaign.

Although the level of detail is too good to make it off as fake.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I simply do not understand this story from ANA. I thought lawyers from our side were looking at the issue? WTF? Is this now the law after the court made a decision? And please don't give me the standard "we are looking at it" bullshit. If this decision is made, it affects us directly. Except if the guy appeals. Why was nothing done to help him?
    1. The newspaper article does not mention all the facts. For instance, where exactly he was in the process of re - licensing;

2. Lawyers o.b.o. the firearms community have engaged CFR on this. There are close to a handful of high court matters pending. GOSA also has a process going;

3. The one interpretation of the law is that you are in unlawful possession if you did not renew. There are other issues that influences this interpretation, and cast another spell on this whole debate. These arguments and evidence are sub judice before the high court.

4. Is this guy affiliated to any organization?

5. Is he a member of any organisation?

6. Is he a paying member of any organization?

7. Did any organization have the financial capacity to assist him?

8. Did he or his lawyers contact any of the organizations?

9. Was he or his lawyers aware of the high court cases on the issue?

10. Was this prosecution instituted with the knowledge of CFR?

11. Was the decision to prosecute authorized by the DPP?

12. How must the organizations know about this guy's prosecution?

13. How can they help him if they don't know?

14. With what funds are they going to help him with?

15. Why do the organizations and their lawyers get the immediate blame if someone does not relicense in time, and then gets into trouble?

For now, unless evidence to the contrary appears, this might just be a case of a junior prosecutor instituting a prosecution without knowledge of the bigger scheme of things, and without having therefore taken the precaution to discuss this with the office of the DPP, and a magistrate making a ruling without the benefit of having been properly addressed on all the facts and arguments of the case. And a review of this may then be possible.

User

Was he forced to surrender the firearm? if it was the criminal offence of having an unlicensed firearm surely they would have addressed the surrender of the firearm and possibly declaring him unfit. The reporting (which is extremely sketchy) suggests that this was an administrative fine for failing to renew and seems silent on this.

On balance I have to conclude that this is a fake story put out there to unsettle firearm owners and prompt surrender of weapons where application for renewal was not made timeously. I'm calling BS on this unless some corroboration can be found.

User

Amazing how a case like this could just slip under the radar for months and months and none of the organisations involved in actively monitoring exactly this situation were REMOTELY aware of it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    Amazing how a case like this could just slip under the radar for months and months and none of the organisations involved in actively monitoring exactly this situation were REMOTELY aware of it.
    Call my cynic, but this has the smell of fake news hanging around it.

Is there a traceable court record, CAS no. or any other evidence to substantiate the report?

Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said that 60% of the stories on Facebook are fake?

User

Some further research indicates that the firearm, for which the license had expired, was being carried by the accused but the court did not believe that he intended to use it for any illegal purpose. Judging from some of the other the sentences handed down by magistrate Constance Nziweni, Derick may consider himself fortunate.

Where a white card license had expired without a previous green licence and there had been no actual application to renew one could likely find oneself in a whole heap of trouble. No valid licence in very simple terms means illegal posession of a firearm.

User

I'm still of the opinion that there is some bad shit happening here in the WC with SAPS. And more coming.

User

The message was that offenders caught in illegal possession of unlicensed firearms, for criminal purposes, could expect heavy jail sentences, she added
    The message should be that it was an expired license and there is a case pending the renewals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Call my cynic, but this has the smell of fake news hanging around it.

Is there a traceable court record, CAS no. or any other evidence to substantiate the report?

Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said that 60% of the stories on Facebook are fake?
    I agree.
    Unless my googl-fu is seriously messed up, the only story on the webs is from the link, and that comes from ANA.
    Is there any legal eagles that will be able to find out if this case does exist?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast