on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default A long, but worthwhile read. Can also be downloaded at GOSA's FB Group

CLARK ATTORNEYS
    Annette Clark (B.Proc LLB RAU)
    79 Hamlin Street
    Highlands North
    Johannesburg
    Email: clarkattorneys@gmail.com
    22 February, 2017
    Our ref: Gosa//NatCom/NPA 22-2-2017
    1. Acting National Commissioner of Police
    selepemashadi@saps.gov.za
    2. National Director of Public Prosecutions
    communication@npa.gov.za
    cc Minister of Police
    MonahengAmelia@saps.gov.za
    cc Portfolio Committee on Police
    fbeukman@parliament.gov.za
    pgroenewald@parliament.gov.za
    cc Head: Central Firearms Registry
    bothmaj@saps.gov.za
    BopapeLS@saps.gov.za
    cc SA Hunters and Game Conservation Association
    fredc@sahunt.co.za
    petrus@sahunt.co.za
    cc South African Arms and Ammunition Dealers Association
    Nadine@nicholasyale.co.za
    martin@mjhood.co.za
    Confederation of Hunting Associations of South Africa
    ceo@chasa.co.za
    cc SAGA Trust
    saga@saga.org.za
    cc GOSA
    steeringcommittee@gunownerssa.org
    Your ref:
    CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS OF PERSONS WHO HAVE FAILED TO APPLY FOR THE RENEWALS OF THEIR LICENSES TO POSSESS FIREARMS
    “Without prejudice to rights”
    Dear Sirs,
    We act herein on the instructions of GOSA (Gun Owners of South Africa), a non – profit organization, with more than 22 000 members, that campaigns for the advancement and protection of the rights of all lawful firearm owners in the Republic of South Africa.
    As such, it is also our client’s mission to act herein against administrative procedures by government officials, that through deliberate intent, or alternatively through reckless disregard of the consequences of certain actions by such officials, turns otherwise law abiding people, into criminals, through the stroke of a pen.
    Our client’s instructions are for us to approach you and to seek your undertaking that you will issue an instruction to all prosecutors and police officials, to the effect that a moratorium is placed on the arrest and prosecution of any person who may be found in possession of a firearm, for which a license
    exists in the name of such a person, but where such a license has expired, and where it is either in the process of being renewed, or for which no application for renewal has yet been lodged.
    We suppose that you will be aware of the fact that there are currently a number of high court cases pending before the North Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, regarding the issue of expired firearm licenses, and to address the consequences thereof, and to direct the court to the proposed solutions to be followed. In some of these pending high court cases, constitutional issues were raised, that inter alia revolves around issues of expropriation of property, and this may ultimately have to be decided on by the Constitutional Court.
    In the specific matter where the South African Arms and Ammunition Dealer’s Association (SAAADA) is the applicant, the high court per Judge Tuchten indicated during April 2016 at the hearing of the matter, that there was no urgency in the matter for court hearing purposes, because the SAPS indicated that they are not about to destroy any firearms that they took in their possession, pending the case, and the SAPS also denied that they will arrest and arraign for prosecution, any person, who possessed such a firearm, for which the license has expired, that was not renewed. Judge Tuchten indicated that the bona fides of the SAPS should be believed, and that if this was not to be the case, that the court could then again be approached on an urgent basis, for appropriate relief.
    This matter is on the court roll during April 2017, and the expectation is that the other matters that are based on the same set of facts, will be heard together with it, in due course.
    We suppose that you are aware of the fact that applicants for the renewal of firearm licenses, were previously allowed to explain any delay with their applications, and that the SAPS under the previous Commissioners would consider those reasons that were advanced by the applicants, on a case by case basis, and that the SAPS would in general then be lenient and would condone such late application for the renewal of a license to possess a firearm.
    This position however suddenly changed early in 2016, ((the Firearms Control Act, act 60 of 2000 (“FCA”) came into operation more than ten years earlier)), in accordance with a letter that the recently appointed new Acting National Commissioner of Police, then issued to members of the SAPS, in terms of an order by the said Commissioner, that in future in all such matters, there would be no opportunity for any applicant to explain his or her failure to apply for the renewal of the license, in good time.
    The effect of this order by the National Commissioner of Police, was that thousands of firearm owners, who’s licenses were not renewed or would not have been renewed in terms of an application for such renewal, that was lodged at least 90 days before the expiry of the said license, was turned into criminals, as a result of the fact that they were now deemed to be in illegal possession of their firearms, of which the possession would have been legal, had the Registrar of Firearms, who is also the National Commissioner of Police, not handed down the aforesaid instruction to members of the SAPS. The
    National Commissioner of Police further indicated that such owners of firearms could not legally dispose of the said firearms, through registered dealers in firearms.
    The SAPS then refused to accept any further applications for the renewal of licenses, that were not handed in before 90 days prior to the expiry of the license.
    The SAPS also specifically, through General Bothma, refused the applicants the opportunity to apply for a completely new license of the firearm (as opposed to an application for a renewal of the said license for the specific firearm).
    Many applicants were therefore placed in a position where there were no lawful means for them to retain legal possession of the said firearms, apart from placing their hopes on a favourable outcome of the pending high court matters.
    This situation remains intolerable, and there is a growing perception amongst the public, that the SAPS is currently busy executing a civilian disarmament strategy, as was alluded to on behalf of government, in the past couple of years.
    We trust that you will appreciate that a failure by a current lawful owner and licensee, to apply for the renewal of a licence prior to 90 days before the expiry thereof, may have resulted from a variety of reasons. We have a specific example, as appears from the accompanying Appeal to the Firearms Appeal Board, in which the SAPS member refused to allow our client’s member Mr. Kruger, to submit his application for the renewal of his license. This instruction that our client was disallowed the right to submit the said application for renewal under the circumstances of his matter, was the official position of the SAPS in the Western Cape, which differed from the position that the SAPS had on the issue, in the rest of the Country.
    Other applicants were elsewhere allowed to apply for renewal after the expiry of the licenses, and their license renewals were granted.
    We are of the belief that the high court will not allow such an unfair and administratively unjust situation, when we take this specific matter there, in due course.
    Further examples of the inability of applicants to present their applications for renewal of their licenses in time, are that some firearms owners were out of the country, or that they were hospitalised or ill, even in other countries whilst performing missionary work, at the time that their time for the renewal of their licenses came up. All such persons then found themselves in a position where they were then regarded as criminals, in unlawful possession of their firearms, which were previously licensed in terms of the FCA.
    The official position from SAPS seems to be to this date, that it is required from owners of such firearms, that they hand it in to the SAPS. SAPS indicated that their ultimate intention is to have such firearms destroyed. It appears that SAPS has however indicated through their General Bothma, that such destruction will only be actioned after the court cases, if indeed the court finds in favour of SAPS, on all the issues.
    We cannot comprehend how the SAPS can argue that such a proposed situation, will serve any good purpose. For one, people (who can afford it) will be forced to buy new firearms, in order to replace firearms that the SAPS have now indicated that they want destroyed. This will lead to a proliferation of firearms, under circumstances where it is known that SAPS do not have the capacity or track record, to properly safeguard literally hundreds of thousands of firearms, pending the outcomes of the relevant high court litigation that is already in an advanced stage and quickly getting closer to the date of the hearing. It should be pointed out and remembered, that the SAPS is on record before parliament, in that they previously lost more than 15 000 firearms, in the space of a couple of years, when the FCA was initially put in operation, and many individuals chose to hand their firearms in for destruction purposes. Other people that cannot afford to replace their firearms, will be left defenceless, at the mercy of criminals who have no inclination to follow any process of licensing.
    It is our view, that the aforesaid decision of the Acting National Commissioner of Police, dated February 2016, should be reviewed and set aside, and that the Acting National Commissioner should rather be compelled to exercise his discretion in terms of Sections 28(6), 28(1)(a), 27 and 24(1) of the FCA, read together, in favour of extending the periods of validity of the aforesaid licenses.
    The only outcome of the current approach by the new Acting National Commissioner has been to disenfranchise a major portion of society from the SAPS, (with licensed firearm owners exceeding 1.7 million in total), and effectively turning them into criminals, and to create even more chaos and inefficiencies in the offices of the Central Firearms Registry, than already existed.
    These and other arguments on behalf of the various applicants and all the individuals being represented by these applicants, will indeed be decided upon by the High Court, in due course.
    As such, the issues remain lis pendens between the parties, being the relevant organizations acting on behalf of their members, and the SAPS.
    But apart from that, the current indication from the high court was that it can be approached again on an urgent basis, if indeed the situation changes.
    We believe that the situation has now changed, as a result of an incident in which a certain prosecutor in the Parow / Belville area, by the name of Barry van der Berg, decided to charge a person for the unlawful possession of a firearm. The background seems to be that the accused was initially facing a
    charge of domestic violence, which charge was withdrawn by the complainant. It appears that the prosecutor then noticed that the license of the accused’s firearm expired, and then mero motu formulated a charge sheet, and that the accused was promptly prosecuted for the alleged offence, of having possessed a firearm without a license. The accused was convicted by the magistrate, and sentenced. It appears as if the accused may have been unrepresented in the matter. This accused is now a convicted criminal with a criminal record. (This decision may however very well possibly be overturned at a later stage, either through the processes of rescission, appeal, review, or abandonment of judgment.)
    According to our information, it furthermore appears as if the relevant prosecutor may not have been aware of the pending high court matters on the issue, or the view that Judge Tuchten expressed on the issue of possible future urgency being created in the SAAADA matter, and that he also did not request a confirmation on his decision, or an independent decision to prosecute, from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. It also appears as if the prosecution for the alleged offence, was not instigated by the SAPS.
    It appears that the relevant accused person, for all practical purposes found himself in the same position as more than a 100 000 other citizens reportedly find themselves in, namely that they are now regarded by the SAPS as criminals for being in possession of their firearms, for which the licenses lapsed. All these people are currently anxiously waiting for the outcome of the relevant high court matters.
    We trust that you will agree with us that this peculiar situation that has now developed, is to be addressed, either through the intervention of your offices, alternatively, by means of further litigation on an urgent basis to the high court. We sincerely hope that you will agree with us that proper and immediate intervention from your offices, will be in the best interest of all parties concerned.
    We therefore request you to issue instructions to all prosecutors and SAPS officials, that no arrests or prosecutions should take place, in cases where people are in possession of firearms, of which the licenses have expired, pending further notification from your offices.
    We believe that this approach is now called for, since it may very well have been the position of your offices to wait for the outcome of the relevant high court matters, but the reality is that this position seems not to have been formally communicated with your subordinates, and we believe that the occurrence of the aforesaid incident has now called for further clarity on this matter and that this should emanate from your offices, as we hereby request.
    Given the urgency of the matter, we will appreciate your urgent responses hereto, in order for us to take further instructions from our client in this matter, that may include an urgent approach to court, for appropriate relief. We however trust that your responses to our request will be favourable, and that litigation will not be necessary.
    Regards,
    SIGNED
    Annette Clark
    ANNEXURE – TEXT OF APPEAL BY OUR CLIENT MR KRUGER TO THE FIREARMS APPEAL BOARD
    APPEAL AGAINST THE REFUSAL OF A LICENSE TO POSSESS A FIREARM
    BACKGROUND
    1. This is an appeal against the refusal of an application for the renewal of a license to possess a FN Browning pistol, that I use for Self Defence, as provided for in terms of Section 13 of the Firearms Control Act, Act 60 of 2000 (“the FCA”).
    2. I was first issued a license for this pistol, on 29 September 1981, in terms of the Arms and Ammunition Act, Act 75 of 1969, being the predecessor to the FCA.
    3. When the FCA came into operation, I simultaneously on 11 November 2005, applied for a new license for the pistol, and a competency certificate, in terms thereof, and such license was first granted, on 6 October 2006, and it was valid until 5 October 2011.
    4. Prior to the expiry of the said license and the said competency certificate, I approached my local Designated Firearms Officer (“DFO”) on 11 March 2011, with my completed renewal applications for both my license, and my competency certificate.
    5. In terms of Section 124(2)(h), a DFO is the appointed representative of the Registrar of Firearms, and takes its directions from the Registrar, who is the National Commissioner of Police.
    6. The Registrar’s duties and responsibilities, in terms of the FCA, are performed Central Firearms Register, as provided for in terms of Section 125 of the FCA.
    7. In terms of Section 124(1), the Minister has the authority to make directions, with which the DFO must eventually comply.
    8. When I presented my applications to the DFO, one B van Schalkwyk with persal number 0834082-2, the DFO told me that he will accept the application for the renewal of the competency certificate for submission, but that he will not even allow me to submit the application for the renewal of the license to him, for further processing.
    9. He indicated to me that his reason for doing so, was because there was a direction from his superiors, that an application for the renewal of the competency certificate must first be considered, and that the application for the renewal of the license, can then only be handed in, if the application for the renewal of the competency certificate, was successful.
    10. The DFO further explained to me that there was a direction from his superiors to the effect that he was not allowed to accept applications for
    submissions of renewals for license applications, simultaneously with an application for the renewal of a competency certificate.
    11. This practice was therefore different to the practice that was in place in 2005, when I initially simultaneously applied for the competency certificate and the license at the same time.
    12. I acted in accordance with these directions, and duly submitted my application for the renewal of my competency certificate, on 11 March 2011, and trusted that my application would be processed and approved in good time, and well before the expiry date of my license on 5 October 2011, some seven months in the future.
    13. Despite regular enquiries to my DFO and other senior SAPS officers in the Western Cape Province, at the provincial office of the CFR, and continuous indications that I had to wait for my application for the renewal of the competency certificate was finalized, such a renewal was however only granted on 22 March 2013, more than two years after the application was made.
    14. I should point out that this is far longer than the expected time – frames for the finalization of such an application, as was confirmed by an order of court, to the effect that even a first-time application for a competency certificate (that should theoretically take longer than a renewal application to consider), where all the information must be considered by the Registrar for the first time, should not take longer than four months.
    15. I then, on the very same day that I eventually received my renewed competency certificate (22 March 2013), despite all the enquiries that I made, submitted my application for the renewal of my license to the DFO, which he then accepted from me, in terms of his previous direction to me, which was passed down from the Registrar to him.
    16. The application was then duly accepted for submission by the DFO, after we went through the application together, to make sure that it was complete.
    17. As such, it was deemed “to be duly completed, with all required documentation and information”, to the satisfaction of the Registrar, in terms of the provisions of Regulation 13(10) of the FCA:
    18. Subsequent to that, my application was then refused, for the alleged reason that my license expired:
    “License terminated in terms of section 28(1)(A) of the FCA”
    19. I should point out that during and between the time of the submission of my application for the renewal of my competency certificate, and the refusal of my application for the renewal of my license, the following anomalies occurred, that relates to the issue:
    19.1 A directive was issued in terms of which competency certificates
    remained valid, and did not have to be renewed, as long as the relevant license or licenses to which the competency certificate relates, remained valid.
    (This approach actually still makes less sense than a situation in terms of which competency certificates have to be renewed periodically, but licenses remain valid, as long as the person is still competent – be that as it may – the clear indication is that the Registrar saw that it does not have the capacity, to administer the constant flow of renewal applications, which for all practical purposes serves no purpose, other than making the FCA inoperable, and in actual fact, going against its very purpose, namely to establish an effective and comprehensive system of firearms control and management, as provided for by Section 2(d) of the FCA);
    19.2 Licenses were still deemed to be valid, despite the expiry date
    stated on it, as long as the applications for their renewal were submitted before the expiry date (through the DFO’s refusal in my case, to allow me to submit the application for the renewal of my license, I was disallowed this option, that many applicants were allowed, and who’s applications for the renewal of their licenses were thereafter granted);
    19.3 In some provinces, applicants were allowed to hand their late
    applications in for the renewal of their firearm licenses, and those licenses were approved, whereas, in other provinces, applicants were prevented from even handing such applications in;
    The afore going mean that the Registrar was prepared to act rationally, and extend the periods mentioned in the Act, in accordance with his powers to do so, that was granted to her by the legislature, in terms of section 28(6), read with sections 28(1)(a), section 27, and section 24(1). Currently the new Acting National Commissioner, now, for no good reason, refuses to act rationally, and to effectively extend the periods as aforesaid, and in particular, the period for the submission of a renewal application, alternatively the term of validity of my license application, even though my reason is as good as that his predecessor refused to take my application in, and also that she caused the extreme delay in the submission thereof.
    19.4 In other provinces applicants were allowed to hand their late license renewal applications in for consideration, however those applications were held back by the provincial offices of the CFR, and not forwarded to the CFR in Pretoria, for the consideration thereof.
    19.5 The Registrar also made specific provision for applicants who could provide a good motivation, for the late submission of an application for the renewal of a competency certificate. Even to this day, such applications are still considered, although for some mysterious and inexplicable reason, this is no longer the case with applications for the late renewal of license applications, no matter what the reason for the lateness could be.
    19.6 During or about the first part of 2016, the newly appointed acting National Commissioner of Police, then issued a new directive, in terms of which no late application for the renewal of a license to possess a firearm, would be granted, and in terms of which applicants were also barred from even submitting such an application, no matter how good their reasons may have been, for not submitting such an application, 90 or more days before the expiry of the said license. Such applicants were then directed to hand in their firearms for destruction to their police stations (from where thousands of firearms have already gone missing or has been sold en masse to criminals – this has been widely reported in the press, and in just a number of years, at least 15 000 firearms were “lost” in this fashion), since the newly appointed Acting National Commissioner now argued that those firearms became illegal, since the licenses expired.
    This conclusion is illogical, and goes against the principles of the FCA, that aims at an effective system of firearms control.
    With the stroke of a pen, the newly appointed acting National Commissioner has therefore criminalized the possession of hundreds of thousands of firearms, that was possessed legally by the owners thereof, for up to 35 years or more, such as in my case.
    It is hard not to conclude that there is an ulterior motive at play here. Just prior to this action, there was the mass refusals for nonsensical reasons, during the second part of 2015, and
    just before that, there were indications by the President, and the Minister in the press, that they were opposed to the private ownership of firearms for citizens, thereby leaving the government as the sole possessors of firearms in the country.
    It is therefore difficult to escape the conclusion that the newly appointed Acting National Commissioner, acted in the fashion that he did, as an attempt towards the disarmament of the public, who would otherwise have been in lawful possession of their firearms.
    19.7 Shortly thereafter, an illegal instruction was (once again – similar to the situation in my case, some years ago) issued to DFO’s, but this time on a national basis, that applicants who apply for competency certificates, are not allowed to submit a license application simultaneously with such an application for a competency certificate, but first have to wait, for the competency certificate to be approved.
    ((This was apparently done to give the CFR some breathing space, since it allowed itself shortly before that, to be inundated with appeals and people who were re-applying as a result of batches of hundreds of license applications being refused per day, for the most absurd “reasons”, on the instructions of the previous head of the CFR.
    The irony is that the license applications would eventually still be handed in, and the period of breathing space would then be over. The practical effect that this had on the public’s
    rights, was that the Registrar then in effect caused the finalization of such a new license application, to be dragged out with four months, or even more. In other words, when a member of the public needed a firearm for self-defence, in order to protect her life (which is normally a matter of urgency that cannot be delayed, and a matter of life and death), and complied with all the provisions and requirements of the FCA, she would first now have to submit her application for a competency certificate, wait for up to two years or more for the approval thereof, and then only be allowed to submit her application for a license, which can also take such an inordinate amount of time.
    It should be pointed out, that before this general instruction was given to this effect, and except in some cases like mine and a few thousand other cases, the general practice was, for the time that the FCA has now been in operation – being for more than ten years, most applicants were allowed to hand in their license applications, with their competency certificate applications.
    These applicants would merely be requested to include the word “pending”, where they had to state the number of their competency certificate, on their license application form. The competency certificate application would be processed, and in the meantime the license application would progress through the system, and would be approved, at the same time, or shortly after the competency certificate was approved.))
    20. The newly appointed Acting National Commissioner, therefore through this ruling, went straight against the arrangement that was made with me through his predecessor, and against the practice that was generally followed with the approval of the previous National Commissioner(s), in terms of which applications for the renewal of licenses, that were submitted late, were accepted, and approved, if the applicant could provide satisfactory reasons for the late submission of the renewal application.
    21. After all, the extreme lateness in my case, was as a direct result of the fact that the DFO refused to accept my perfectly good application for the renewal of my license, and since he insisted, on the authority of the previous National Commissioner, that I only submit my renewal application for my license, after my renewal application for my competency certificate, was approved.
    22. In the premises, the SAPS, through the Minister, the National Commissioner / The new Acting National Commissioner / The Registrar of Firearms, the Head of the CFR, the relevant commanders at the provincial office of the Firearms Registry, and the DFO, made the following errors or committed the following unjust acts in sequence, that ultimately gave rise to the refusal of my license application, for an eventual reason that is ultimately not sound in law, given the background of the matter:
    22.1 The refusal by the DFO to accept my application for the renewal of
    my license, at the time of my submission of my application for the renewal of my competency certificate;
    22.2 The indication by the DFO, that I should submit my application for the renewal of my license only when the renewal of my
    competency certificate has been approved with the implied assurance that the statutory periods for the submission of such an application, would be extended by the Registrar
    22.3 The failure by the Registrar, to extend the time periods referred to in section 28(6), read with Sections 28(1)(a), 27 and 24(1), despite the fact that the Registrar by implication agreed to the extension thereof, beforehand, when I was told to wait for the submission of my application for the re-licensing of my pistol;
    22.4 The extreme delay caused by the SAPS in the processing of my
    application for the renewal of my competency certificate;
    22.5 The arbitrary treatment of my application – since it was submitted
    in a province that on purpose held the applications back, I was treated differently and unfairly, compared to what the case would have been, if I submitted it in a different province, where it would have been processed in good time, and have been approved, after the Registrar by implication allowed for the extension of the time periods, as referred to supra.
    22.6 The eventual unjust failure by the Registrar to extend these periods
    in my case, despite the implied assurance by his predecessor, that she would do so, and despite the fact that the previous Registrar, has done so in many cases;
    22.7 The ultimate unfair, unjust and arbitrary refusal of my application,
    under circumstances where the Registrar was estopped from arguing that my (previous) license has been terminated, prior to the application for the license being submitted, or alternatively considered.
    23. I therefore submit that the appeal should be upheld, on this basis alone.
    24. The licensing process requires of the DFO to make sure that the application is complete to the satisfaction of the SAPS, when it is received from the applicant.
    25. The DFO is then supposed to complete a SAPS form 523, in which he should make a note of all the documents received from the Applicant.
    26. The DFO should then send the application to the provincial offices of the CFR, where a quality check will be performed.
    27. From there, the application must be sent to CFR head office, for a final check, consideration and decision.
    28. From the above it appears that all relevant personnel within the SAPS were of the view (along with myself) that my application for the renewal of my license was complete and good in law, when it was eventually accepted for submission, and this seemed to be the case between the date of submission, and the date of refusal, more than three and a half years later.
    29. This only happened, because the new Acting National Commissioner, issued a new directive that retrospectively affected all previous applications and arrangements that were made by his predecessor.
    30. Also, despite the Ruling / Directive by the Public Protector in 2007, the SAPS have still not issued clear and official guidelines for the exact information and processes to be followed for license applications, and it
    appears that at best, newly drafted Standard operating Procedures, are still at best only in draft form, and have not been made available to the public or the industry or the organised firearms community, some 16 years after the date of the FCA.
    31. To this day, applications are therefore still dealt with in an arbitrary fashion, with differences as to the requirements for a valid and complete application, between one DFO and the next DFO, between one DFO and further deciding officers, between different provinces, between different deciding officers, and between different members of the Firearms Appeal Board.
    32. It is again hard to escape the inference that the Registrar, as a result of its non – compliance with the Directive by the Public Protector, has by default created a situation where it allows itself to be in a position where it can then still refuse license applications, for any arbitrary reason that it may elect to do, as a result of the absence of clear requirements.
    33. In terms of Section 3 of the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act, Act 3 of 2000 (“PAJA”), I should have been notified in case there was any chance that my application could be refused, so that I could clear up any possible misunderstandings, for instance if documents had gone missing between the time that I handed it in, to the time when the final decision was about to be made.
    34. This never happened, and my application was eventually, after having gone past all the other deciding phases, and after being delayed for years, refused in a summary fashion, for reasons that are not sound in law, and which are factually incorrect.
    35. I therefore submit that the Registrar has therefore failed to apply his mind in this matter, alternatively that the Registrar had exercised his discretion wrongly.
    36. The reasons for the refusal that was professed are irrational, as explained above. Synonyms for the word “irrational”, includes the following, and the Registrar’s decision complies with all of them:
    -Unreasonable;
    -Illogical;
    -Groundless;
    -Baseless;
    -Unfounded;
    -Unjustifiable.
    37. ADMINISTRATIVE JUSTICE:
    37.1 The Registrar’s decision also lacks any transparency: I received no opportunity to address the Registrar on his intended refusal of my application. This is important because:
    37.1.1 I was in constant contact with the CFR during the time that I waited for this license to be considered. At no time did the Registrar even attempt to provide me with a request for further information or for a request to clarify any possible uncertainty, and neither did the
    Registrar provide me with an opportunity to address him on the “difficulties” he was having with my application, at any time during this long period.
    37.1.2 The Registrar or any of the personnel of the Registrar did also not make use of their powers in terms of the FCA or the Regulations, to see to it that any obvious mistakes on their records, are corrected mero motu. It is also unclear and indicative of a total failure of due process, as to how the application could ultimately have been declined at the end of the process, bearing in mind the different quality check phases through which it has to go – see annexure in this regard as to the prescribed process;
    37.1.3 Furthermore, in terms of PAJA, the Registrar also made itself guilty of a breach of the following principles:
    37.1.3.1 Failure to give adequate notice of the nature and purpose of the intended decision – as set out above;
    37.1.3.2 A reasonable opportunity to make representations – as set out above;
    37.1.3.3 Providing me with a clear statement of the administrative action – the decision is vague for lack of an explanation as to why the law has not been applied;
    37.1.3.4 Failure to allow me to present and dispute arguments;
    37.1.3.5 Failure to allow me to appear in person;
    37.1.3.6 Not considering relevant considerations, and apparently considering irrelevant considerations;
    37.1.3.7 Considering or adhering to unwarranted dictates.
    37.2 It is clear that in this matter, the conduct of the SAPS falls far short of what is expected of it in terms of the Act.
    38. IN SUMMARY
    In the premises, I submit that the reasons for refusal is under all the circumstances, wrong, unjust, unfair, and not sustainable in law, and I therefore request the Appeal Board to uphold this appeal, and make a decision that the refusal be overturned and to order the Registrar that the license in question be granted.
    1. Copies of old licenses for the pistol;
    2. Copies of competency certificates, including renewed competency certificate, with date stamp 22 March 2013;
    3. Copy of ID and qualifications;
    4. Copy of refusal letter;
    5. SAPS guidelines for processing of applications, inclusive of reference to quality control steps;
    6. Public Protector report.
    ANNEXURE:
    EXPECTED TIMEFRAMES AND QUALITY CHECK ACTIONS REGARDING FIREARM LICENSE APPLICATIONS:
    SAPS communiqué dated 29 May 2012
    -The applications must be forwarded to the provincial office by the DFO within six weeks after submission, inclusive of the results of the fingerprint check received back from CRC;
    -A quality check must be performed there, and the applications must be forwarded to the CFR within two weeks after receipt thereof;
    -Applications must be finalized within four weeks after it reached the offices of the CFR;
    -All printed cards must be collected within two weeks after being finalized by the CFR, and the cards must be collected or delivered within two weeks after that;
    -All refusal letters must be posted within two weeks after being finalized by the CFR.
    -It is important to note that the time periods are set out in weeks herein, for a decision to be reached on a license application, amounts to 12 weeks, and in other words, three months or 90 days.
    ANNEXURE 2
    PUBLIC PROTECTOR REPORT
    South African Police Service - Firearms Licensing
    Report No 10 of 2006/7
    This report deals with an investigation conducted by the Office of the Public Protector into the implementation of the
    Firearms Control Act, 2000 (Act 60 of 2000). The Firearms Control Act, and the Firearms Control Regulations and
    amendments, had caused much discontent amongst legal gun owners. It was decided to conduct an investigation on
    own initiative, on the implementation of the Act, in terms of the provisions of section 7(1) (a) of the Public Protector Act,
    The office of the Public Protector received numerous complaints from applicants dissatisfied with the process to obtain
    firearm licences and the alleged undue delay in the issuing of the licences. The bulk of complaints were about the undue
    delay in the finalisation of the appeals submitted to the Appeal Board. Some of the complaints related to applicants who
    were dissatisfied with advice received from the SA Police Service on the procedure to obtain a firearm licence.
    The investigation comprised:
    ♦An evaluation of information obtained from complaints received.
    ♦ Consideration of a number of media articles on the subject.
    ♦An evaluation of information obtained from the Central Firearm Register.
    ♦An evaluation of the legislation pertaining to firearms licences.
    ♦ Consideration of the legislative framework pertaining to service delivery in the public service.
    Public Protector South Africa Annual Report: 1 April 2006 - 31 March 2007
    7. SYSTEMIC AND OWN INITIATIVE INVESTIGATIONS
    FINDINGS
    The following conclusions were drawn from the investigation:
    ♦The purposes of the Firearms Control Act, 2000 were to make ownership of firearms more responsible and to make
    the process of owning a firearm clear to the user and the police. Responsibility of firearm owners was spelt out
    clearly. The Act aimed to make the use and storage of firearms safe.
    ♦The success of the Act did rely on how it was implemented and applied. It was important that the process was con-continually monitored and, where hitches were identified, corrected either through the amendment of the Act or training
    of the officers who implemented the Act.
    ♦ Sometimes the public service was slow to adapt to unanticipated issues, did not communicate effectively with the
    public or failed to recognise the administrative burden that government requirements could impose on people.
    ♦ Public service should try to reduce or eliminate administrative burdens when planning
    and delivering services.
    ♦All state institutions and servants, including the SA Police Service were constitutionally obliged to perform in an effective and efficient manner. All state institutions and servants were obliged to properly implement and adhere to the
    principles contained in the Batho Pele White Paper.
    ♦ Legislation and policies that prescribe and regulate service delivery in the public administration were adequate.
    Proper implementation and constant control over adherence to the legislation and policies should address problems
    of undue delays.
    ♦ In order to give practical effect to the relevant legislation and policies relating to service delivery, all public servants
    were required to comply with the Batho Pele Principles and the Code of Conduct for Public Servants.
    ♦ Service standards defined minimum levels of delivery that should be achieved.
    ♦ The Central Firearms Register had taken measures and continually addressed problem areas to prevent undue de-
    lays.
    RECOMMENDATIONS
    The Public Protector recommended that:
    ♦An effective complaint handling mechanism should be introduced at the Central Firearms Register to identify problem areas immediately. This would enable the public to seek assistance at an early stage of the application process. An internal complaints process was an informal and flexible process and would also provide an early opportunity for the
    Central Firearm Register to learn of problems that were arising in the administration process.
    ♦ The Central Firearms Register should publish service standards in respect of timeframes to issue competency certificates and firearm licenses. This would foster good public administration that was acceptable, lawful, fair, transparent and responsive.
    ♦ The Central Firearms Register should ensure that measures and monitoring processes were introduced to address the causes of problems and to prevent a recurrence where problems existed. Good practices would then be identified.
    ♦The Central Firearms Register should ensure proper compliance by employees with the provisions of the Batho Pele Principles and the Code of Conduct for Public Servants.
    ♦Training of the personnel at the Central Firearms Registry should be continuous. Specific training on the purpose and aim of the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act (PAJA) and its application should be implemented.
    Public Protector South Africa Annual Report: 1 April 2006 - 31 March 2007
    ♦ The Central Firearm Register should ensure that services were delivered justly in terms of the PAJA. Reasons for decisions should be properly communicated. Services should be provided impartially, fairly, equitably and without bias. The PAJA ensured procedurally fair administrative actions, gave the right to request reasons for actions and the right to have actions reviewed by a court. Procedures followed should be clearly stated and affected people given notice of their rights to review or appeal decisions. The public had the right to be informed of reasons for
    decisions.
    ♦A comprehensive communication campaign by the Central Firearms Register on the requirements to obtain a firearm license should be launched to inform the public. It should be remembered that a person’s entitlement to a firearm license depended on whether he/she could satisfy the eligibility criteria set out in the legislation.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Default Re: A long, but worthwhile read. Can also be downloaded at GOSA's FB Group

Thanks Paul

User

Default Re: A long, but worthwhile read. Can also be downloaded at GOSA's FB Group

Somehow I have a feeling that the litigation route will be followed...

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCottonFluff View Post
    Somehow I have a feeling that the litigation route will be followed...
    Pre-litigation we have to show that we attempted ALL other remedies. This is a massive push in that direction.

BTW, GOSA just gave instructions to proceed with ANOTHER 3 judicial reviews on behalf of our members.

We're litigating like crazy!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Thanks for posting, Paul.

Good effort and thanks to you and GOSA for continuing to fight for the rights of all lawful FA owners.