Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default AK handguard retainer

Evening guys,

Anyone know where I could get my hands on a new/used AK handguard retainer locally. My Type-56 handguard retainer needs replacement.

Image below:

Default Re: AK handguard retainer

Tac shac is receiving a big shipment in ak's this week i think, might be able to ask them perhaps

AFAIK noone bothers bringing in spare retainers. Not to mention the disassembly and reassembly nightmare to get a new one fitted.

Your best bet is to import one of the multi-part ones (easy to fit and remove) from Brownells.

Like this one...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod32501.aspx
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Perhaps you can take it to a machine shop and have them make you a new one, my friends do it with car parts all the time.

Good idea. But he'd either have to cut it off or disassemble the front post to get it off. Alternatively, I have seen CAD files for AKM handguard retainers on the interwebs. Maybe someone has modified one to be two-piece or the machine shop can do that after CNCing the default part from the CAD model for you.

I used this approach for my rear trunnion to fit a Zhukov-S stock.

LawDel, just off to testdrive my M92 for the first time. Will check the AKM part CAD models I have and see if I find something useful when I get back later this afternoon.

User

Thanks guys.

Appreciate the effort Quicksilver.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDel View Post
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the effort Quicksilver.
    No problem. I already had the files. Found a standard AKM retainer plate CAD model. You could get it machined then modded to clip over the barrel and tapped for a securing screw. Or go the painful route of removing and refitting the front sight post.Will search for a 2 part, slip-on CAD model as well.PM me your email address and I'll send you the CAD files for the standard retainer so long.

User

I am just asking but can you not just replace the broken peace with an bolt and nut?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein L View Post
    I am just asking but can you not just replace the broken peace with an bolt and nut?
    I can't see a reason why this won't work. If you use a correct diameter machine bolt so the unthreaded part is in the groove and you trim to length with a self locking nut? Will be more of a PITA to remove, but how often do you remove the front handguard in any case?I know of a guy or two who fixed R4/5's this way in an emergency. Looks very similar.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    I can't see a reason why this won't work. If you use a correct diameter machine bolt so the unthreaded part is in the groove and you trim to length with a self locking nut? Will be more of a PITA to remove, but how often do you remove the front handguard in any case?I know of a guy or two who fixed R4/5's this way in an emergency. Looks very similar.
    Thanks that was what I thought.

Maybe OP can try this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast