Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fishing tips Sodwana Bay

I made an impulsive last moment decision to take the family to Sodwana bay from 29/03/2017 - 03/03/2017

I want to catch some fish from the beach and would appreciate any tips or advice on bait, trace, fishing spots and fishing time & tides.

The last time we were there we arrived the same day as the tsunami hit the KZN coast about 5 years back or so and we couldn't do anything...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Fishing tips Sodwana Bay

how are you going for a whole month in reverse?

Just a Gunsiter will notice that ! Gustav, search for Sodwanda Fishing. I recall a thread many moons ago. You'll probably find in that thread what I'll say now. Sodwana is not surf fishing friendly. Deep sea yes. You will have some luck next to the rocks at and night (I won't recommend fishing at night anymore) During the day you will have fun catching 3 spot Pampano's and Banana fish in the waves but they'll all be under sized. And that's about it unfortunately. This is my experience from several visits to Sodwana. Better to go to Cape Vidal or St Lucia for the day if you want to take edibles home

Banned

As said, you will get enough pompanos for a decent meal. Try the northern part of the surf, just where the curve of the bay straightens in a northern direction towards Witsand and Mozambique. The pompano in the curve of the bay used to be smaller.The pompanos swim in the upper part of the water. We used to catch them with sardiens on small hooks, rigged the bait to be 40cm below the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    how are you going for a whole month in reverse?
    Typo, march & April...

User

I have found the above videos immensely helpful in understanding the art of surf fishing. Good luck and tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post

I have found the above videos immensely helpful in understanding the art of surf fishing. Good luck and tight lines!
    The guy speacs very softly and onetoned, but awesome content. Will definitely do it when I get there. I usually just pick a spot and cast

User

Fishing in the bay at Sodwana in December 2016 was as bad as can be with no fish present. Even on the boats it was slow. This was a weird phenomenon.

I will advise you try some dropshot with small plastics in the bay on a incoming tide fishing the holes.

If you know your way aro7nd a fly rod, 5wt, you can have some great fun catching natal moonies on small white flies. Sprat imitation flies. Larger rod weight for any bigger flies 9wt and up. Some white or chartreuse salty buggers or old faithfull general woolybuggers in white works winders or black with red tail.

Dont know anything about bait other than rigging 8kg tunas as live bait for marlin at sodwana.

Just enjoy the beach. Where will you be staying? The beach is very safe during the day!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When I was a child, we used to catch a crapload of fish at Sodwana, but nowadays it seems to be a problem, especially after we went there when the tsunami struck. Our main reason for going there is to take the kids snorkeling in the bug rock pools as they will love it and its safe in those pools. Also its a nice swimming beach.

My plan is to go fishing before first light. I want to try dropshotting with a nice green top and white belly paddletail around the bay, try some rock cod from the rocks and get the 3 spots & moonies up the beach.

After that swimming and snorkeling with fishing again in the late afternoon.

What trace is best to make?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast