Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Streetsmart Street Safe Course

James's stuff had been recommended to me by several people and I had been eagerly awaiting this course in Cape Town, and finally I got that chance.I have just returned home after day 2 of this 3 day course and thought it might help some to know that this kind of training is available and perhaps inspire some people to do it or something like it.

Day 1:
    We started off with a presentation around the general but ever important aspects of personal safety like awareness and the color codes physiological responses etc. After that we started with movement and communicating with the threat, moving off the X and multiple threats. All very useful, and setting the stage for day 2.

Day 2:
    We started with a presentation about various types of attacks and some global terrorism numbers and the workings of the minds of some of these people as well as the desired mindset that we should have.
    Then it was time to take some hits and learn to defend against them. We were warned that it was going to b somewhat unpleasant and it sure was. We must have taken about 150 (defended) hits to the head by the time we had a lunch break; and it wasn't the gentle window dressing stuff.
    After lunch it got really fun as we started getting used to the shock of being struck and putting together the work from the night before with the "fending" of the blows to striking back and even transitioning to pepper sprays, knives and air soft guns.
    That means, assessing multiple threats, dealing with them with vocals and movement, taking a klap and coming back with strikes and weapons. It ended up being quite nice actually when I got used to it.

Seeing just how exhausted people were after just a few minutes of defending or attacking as well as the way they lost their way in the technique etc is an excellent reminder of the importance of fitness in a fight situation; there are injuries too, and this particular class is comprised of fighters and people involved in safety and security so it is pretty intense.

Well I can tell you that I'm thoroughly tired, and my arms are finished ; getting up in the morning is going to be a challenge. I have an old injury that is now a real factor for tomorrow and what lies ahead? Apparently something called Vomit Sunday. Let's see.

User

Default Re: Streetsmart Street Safe Course

James is without a doubt my go to recommendations for knife and unarmed stuff.

User

Don't know if I'm happy or sad that I missed out on this

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    James is without a doubt my go to recommendations for knife and unarmed stuff.
    I had no idea how impressive his CV and training history is.

I wish we could do this kind of stuff once a week just to keep practiced. It is a good feeling to survive this kind of thing it and having the confidence to do the techniques on demand would be great.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post
    Don't know if I'm happy or sad that I missed out on this
    Get on the next one. Wherever it is.
    It's easy to carry a gun, it's not as easy to defend it or yourself. Close stuff.

User

Default Streetsmart Street Safe Course

James is a great guy and very humble! Knows his stuff and a great instructor with knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Oh and by defended hits to the head I mean in the fend position, so every shot is indirectly being taken to the head.

User

There's no bullshit bravado on James's courses. No one will be injured or any silliness. But he's good at pushing people to their limits.

User

Quote Originally Posted by uBestRi View Post
    Get on the next one. Wherever it is.
    It's easy to carry a gun, it's not as easy to defend it or yourself. Close stuff.
    Definitely

User

Day 3:
    Started with a presentation about First Aid, some of the possible injuries and the various ways and items one would use to deal with any damage someone might have sustained.
    After that we started with the knife attacks and defence. This was for me an especially enlightening part of the training, and while it was emphasised that there really is no great magic defence against a knife, the techniques we learned seem to be extremely good. They are very effective, they allow for defence as well as offence and are simple enough that they can be achieved without months of complicated training. We also learned to deal with an attacker when we are on the ground and pinned. This was more technical, but the techniques allowed for me to toss my 100kg plus partner (and Im about 75kg's) to the mat without much effort, and will work for women against much heavier men.
    Then after lunch it was time for the tough part, donning the helmet doing cardio exercise until breathing heavily in there, then being bent over and spun around 10 times and shoved into space for 2 of the instructors to attack you. Everything (except airsoft to the face) goes, airsoft guns, training knives, pepper spray, hands, feet, knees, elbows, street rules; just survive. The idea is to try and experience the frantic chaos as realistically as possible. Its a tough experience, either because you are being attacked by these experienced guys or because you are trying to contain your own mind or because afterwards you are analysing your performance and thinking about how you should have done better. The thinking kept me awake a lot last night.

This is a good course, it isn't for everybody (although they do try and accommodate everyone), but if you take your safety and survival seriously then I recommend that you give it a try. You will come away with multiple bruises and a little pain at the very least if you actually make the effort, but you will come away with some fantastic techniques that you will need to go away and keep practiced at, and some questions about your choice of everyday carry items and your proposed tactics. Its easy to plan something, its a lot more difficult to implement it and to carry on when it goes wrong.
    1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast