Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Removing oil out of stock

Quote Originally Posted by baron_africa View Post
    Ok when using the warming or sun method. How long process are you looking at?
    It will take some time. Make sure to oil the wood well when you have completed the fix. Tru oil has always been my favorite but there are many others. You want to "stabilize" the wood in the area that broke or cracked.

Banned

The only measure I can give is not till its done, but how long I did it for. That would be every day while at work for 5/6 days till I worked on it, and then again a few times.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The only measure I can give is not till its done, but how long I did it for. That would be every day while at work for 5/6 days till I worked on it, and then again a few times.
    Best answer.

User

Baron, this all seems like a lot of effort to find the right product. The link I gave you has info that works, it is easily accessible and I'm carrying out a repair far worse than yours. The same method for a broken stock works for a cracked stock.

The stock dries from the soap bath in a few hours so can be washed 3 times in one day and then into the thinners to soak.

My stock is into its second week of soaking. Not much to it.

Like anything else in life i am just doing some research so i make the chances of stuffing up the stock less likely.

Banned

Like anything else in life i am just doing some research so i make the chances of stuffing up the stock less likely.
    Care full of that i did it once and got------

So this thread was to ask opinions just so you could ignore them and buy the gu anyway.

I also like to ask a bit an confirm what i know and learn what i do not. Makes me more confident.

Definitely not ignoring any advice.

Gun is inherited and over 100 years old and all the oiling of barrel etc walked down the barrels onto the gunstock where metal meets wood. Crack right in v.
    Would like to keep it as original as possible and dont want to ruin it. So first thing first is to remove the oil so repair of crack can be done.

Im actually strongly Considering the method in Raytons article he supplied and also the more time consuming sweating of oil via heat/sun.

Still waiting for card to be printed so got time on my hand to consider all the options before i commit

And Thanks guys

Banned

just get the stock so long - the barrel and action are licenced parts - the woods just furniture. get the wood now and start working then there is no inclination to rush job when weapon is begging to be used.

Definitely not ignoring any advice.

Gun is inherited and over 100 years old and all the oiling of barrel etc walked down the barrels onto the gunstock where metal meets wood. Crack right in v.
    Would like to keep it as original as possible and dont want to ruin it. So first thing first is to remove the oil so repair of crack can be done.

Im actually strongly Considering the method in Raytons article he supplied and also the more time consuming sweating of oil via heat/sun.

Still waiting for card to be printed so got time on my hand to consider all the options before i commit

And Thanks guys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3