Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Removing oil out of stock

I would like to repair a cracked shotgun stock(walnut) which i am 99% sure happened because of to much oil in the stock.
    Very old shotgun that i would like to glue and clamp.

Does anybody have any experience with this?
    And what chemicals are used and are they not harmful to the wood?

Banned

Default Re: Removing oil out of stock

Acetone removes oil and evaporates easily?

User

Trayton on the forum is busy with exactly the same thing. Im sure he will be stopping by here soon.

User

http://www.gun-tests.com/special_rep...l#.WLQrQN_RZAh

Sorry I can't post a link as I'm on my cellphone but I'm following this advice.

I would suggest a pins or a few with the clamp.

This guy used thread bar.

I am looking at using acetone but want to make 100% that i don't damage the stock in the long run. Because i would need to acetone bath it
    and am scared the acetone will be absorbed and then break down some of the woods natural oil etc.

And thanks Trayton for the link. But my gunstock crack isn't as extreme as the link you supplied so i will stay away from drilling for now.

I see in the article that Trayton pointed to that they use turpentine for the bath.

Yip Acetone is the stuff too use.

User

Advice from Jack Lott of Pachmayr custom Guns.Get hold of some Trisodium Phosphate.There used to be a company in Jhb. called Chemical Small Packs but any of the chemical companies should be able to help. Make a paste of TSP and water and coat the stock and allow to dry.The TSP will pull the oil out and turn brown. Repeat until there is no discolouration. Check Brownells catalogue for Stock Repair pins. They come in 1/8" and 3/8" diameter or you can make your own,as I did. Get some brass rod of the desired diameter and run it through the appropriate threading die.You will find instructions on their website. I used this extensively when I was 'smithing.

Thanks Rick will take a look at TSP. But this TSP paste how long would it usually be applied to the stock before removal and adding a new layer?

User

If the stock is soaked with oil, it will crack again pretty soon after the fix.

I boil the wooden parts in water with some laundry detergent. For real. And it works! I've succeeded in repairing many petroleum oil soaked gunstocks, shotgun and even Mosin-Nagant 1891 with this method.

Boil until the water turns brown, change the water and do it again as many times as you find appropriate: the water will be clearer after every boiling. You don't expect to remove all, just the most of the oil. The last boiling is with only water to remove the soaked detergent.

After this, let the wood dry slowly just by itself without use of extra heat: this way the wood won't crack during the process. When its dry, glue what you have to fix and then apply high quality gunstock oil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast