Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Removing oil out of stock

baron africa. Remove TSP as soon as it is dry, repeat until it does not go brown any more. By the way. I used Pratley's 2 part clear epoxy instead of Acraglas.Works fine at a fraction of the cost.

I've always removed oil with 'oven cleaner', spray on liberally and leave on till it turns black/brown, wash off in clean water. Repeat until white foam doesn't turn brown.

Super glue has also worked well to repair cracks in stocks, I'm not sure that it would work in this case but worth considering.

Banned

Although I am not in line to repair a stock the information given here should assist a noob in getting oil out of wood. Thanks for the info.

Banned

Washed in Omo hanging in machine on string dried in sun VERY tightly wrapped in that white cloth, muslim cloth - cheese cloth ?. Direct sun - baked in ball of tight cloth. Repeat repeat and dry in cool dry place. Stock needed work after wards, but it was less of a oil soaked sponge afterwards.Oil came out later again and was wiped off almost hrly with acetone.
    Use threaded bar with screw driver slots cut both ends to pull crack together. Most modern epoxys with no shrinkage drying seem to work, I have also used super glue liberally poured into crack.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have read in a book called "The Art of Gunsmithing - The Shotgun" that they use methylated spirits to remove the oil without any adverse effects on the wood if you
    feed back walnut-oil-based enhancing oil back into the wood. But instead of using methylated spirits i will use acetone. Reason is acetone is clear and i will be able to see the extracted oil much better with the clear solution.

And both spirits and acetone evaporate quickly. And then the solution(acetone or spirits) that is pulled into the wood while bathing will evaporate rather quickly when removed from the solution(acetone or spirits). So this is basically my thinking at the moment...

So replacing walnut based oil is seems to be the key as i have read

User

warming draw or sun(when it shines). Oil will perspire from grain and you wipe it off with a WHITE cloth and thinners. Acetone will bleach the wood.

Hi baron_africa.
    If I remember correctly 'meths' is surgical spirits with a colour added.
    If you want a clear product, other than acetone, you could try the surgical spirit route.
    Good Luck with the repair.
    Regards.
    Keith.

of course

Banned

Its why I wrap in that muslin like cloth and then full sun - it sweats into cloth and capillary action draws it out from there. blotting paper is better but how too apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylanm View Post
    warming draw or sun(when it shines). Oil will perspire from grain and you wipe it off with a WHITE cloth and thinners. Acetone will bleach the wood.

Ok when using the warming or sun method. How long process are you looking at?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast