User

Default Benjamin Trial np XL

Greetings, I rescued this fellow today and decided that since I havent had a pellet gun since my early teens it would be fun to start playing with one again.

That said, I know nothing about them. This model is apparently gas piston driven which from my understanding does not pair well with bipods/bench rests. It does currently have an el cheapo NC Star quick release bi-pod in place which I am scared to removed becuase the cake who had it previously clamped it straight to the barrel without a rubber liner.

Any how, my questions are:

Did I just waste R800?

It has a Centre Point 4-9x40 scope which by the look and feel is kak. What are the better options for a break neck air rifle? Or should I just leave the centre point on? Will be shooting maybe once a month.

The trigger is rough, can one have work done to it or should I dive straight in and put in a sport trigger kit?

It claims 1500 fps or 24ft-lbs muzzle energy, this seems vicious for an air rifle, assuming I'll need heavier pellets (maybe 12grain +) I'm worried about it throwing lighter pellets around over distance.

That leads me to; where in Durban can I find someone who works on air rifles?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stay Bladed.

User

Default Re: Benjamin Trial np XL

From what I have read they are not bad air rifles.

Firstly get rid of the bipod - it is not helping you at all mounted on the barrel / shroud like that.

The 1500 fps will most likely be attained with a PBA type pellet, try something around 8.44 to 10 gr.
    Put it over a chrony and see what you get before fiddling - the power on the gas ram can usually be adjusted.
    Around 800 fps with an 8.44 gr pellet should be good.

Hopefully someone else will chip in with a decent tuner in Durban, they should be able to sort the trigger too.

User

Thanks. Bipod already off. Just could not take it any longer.

Will fiddle with different pellets until I find a good tuner.

Stay Bladed.

User

If You don't come right, courier it to Nicolas Yale. Apparently they have people there that know their air rifles well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk