Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: SAAF - Mirage F1 History

Pirate were you at Atlas? If so may I ask what time frame? Want to find out if you maybe knew my uncle that worked there in from the 1970s onwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Pirate's dad worked there. Quite a bit after the 70s, though. In the 70's he was still actively flying in the SAAF.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

My uncle was recruited in East Germany in the 60's to join Atlas. He remained there till his retirement. Does not talk a lot about what he did there but the guy is a genius and was apparently involved in a lot of development programs there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

It is as SH notes (what he doesn't mention is that his post refers not just to my dad, but his as well) ;-)

Apart from that connection, this part of our history has always been a keen interest to me, and in later years, through various sources I put together a ragged (and by no means complete) picture.

The retirement of the F1 particularly (both 1 Sqn and 3 Sqn) was actually a sad result of the Cheetah C deal. The F1 airframe was a significantly better turning fighter than the MIII, and most probably better than the Cheetah C. However, the F1CZs had really outdated radar and weapons systems. The AZs on the other hand had excellent clear-weather ground attack capabilities, and there was a major systems upgrade by ATE in the pipeline. With the Cheetah C's arrival there was suddenly one fighter that could do both the F1 versions' jobs well enough, although in some aspects the F1s remained better. Logistically however it didn't make sense to duplicate the capabilities, and a choice had to be made. We HAD to take the Cheetah C's, since they were already paid for (due to the Lavi being cancelled... much as I know about CAVA/Carver, I have my own theory about it being a cover project for when Lavis suddenly appeared in our skies, similar to how we were led to believe we developed the Cheetahs ourselves...) and they offered all the newest weapons systems already integrated. This killed the F1 upgrades, and forced them into retirement. Unfortunately this was also a huge blow to ATE, and other companies that were involved. Note, it wasn't a BAD decision, just a sad one.

The F1CZs were pawned out to Universities and Institutions. The AZs were kept in storage, and were (partly or completely, I'm not 100% sure) later bought my Aerosud, who then sold them to Gabon. Aerosud retained and operate(d) one AZ for test purposes.

:- P

User

ATAR.....if I had R100 for every time I strapped one down in the back of my C160 and took it from Hoedies to Grooties or visa versa.......I could buy a few guns LOL

User

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3