User

Default SAAF - Mirage F1 History

User

Default Re: SAAF - Mirage F1 History

Thanks TS
    Always been facinated by the Mirage,

User

I served 6;5 years in the SAAF working as a instrument tech with 1 Squadron working these aircraft till we were
    retrenched in 93 brings back lots of memories

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

User

Am a fan of the Mirage / Cheetah series too, would have liked to have piloted / worked on them. It is an impressive number of air to ground missions flown in the last stages of the Border War.

User

Read the novel Mirage by James Follett. It's is the story behind Israel stealing the design drawing of the Mirage from Sulzer and also later selling copies of the plans to South Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Read the novel Mirage by James Follett. It's is the story behind Israel stealing the design drawing of the Mirage from Sulzer and also later selling copies of the plans to South Africa.

*Googles* Thanks, that's definitely one for the Kindle!

User

Israel helped a lot during​ the arms embargo I think alot of the parts for the cheetah mirage 3 upgrade came via them

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

User

The book "Vlamgat" by Dickie Lord is a great read on the Mirage F1 and its combat missions in the SAAF.

Quote Originally Posted by GK21 View Post
    The book "Vlamgat" by Dickie Lord is a great read on the Mirage F1 and its combat missions in the SAAF.
    My dad bought a copy. Excellent read ! Everytime I go visit him a read a chapter. He also told me the one day he almost fell from a ladder working in the Blyderivier canyon. Mirages came low and fast practicing 'Toss bombing' Maybe Oom Pirate can tell us some more stories

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post

Jaaaa... not really.... they stole the plans for the Mirage V (even though the original cover featured an F1), which they then locally produced unlicenced as the Dagger / Nesher, and later developed into the Kfir. Our 1st generation Cheetahs (E and D) were essential copies of the Kfir (C1 and C2 respectively, I think, but I'm not close to a reference now...) save that we retained the Atar engines while the Kfirs used American engines. Those first gen Cheetahs were rebuilds from our MIII EZs, DZs and D2Zs.

Our Cheetah Cs were original Israeli airframes that we received when Israel were forced to halt development of the Lavi (which we already ordered and paid for). These airframes were completely rebuilt, had the same engines as the F1s (Atar 9K50, for which we already had the support infrastructure) and had more modern electronics than even the Israelis were allowed to put on their American fighters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast