Thread: Red Platoon

User

Default Red Platoon

I've just finished this book and I must say I think it is the best modern warfare book I have read since Blackhawk Down.

It is the true story about an American base in the Nuristan province of Afghanistan that is assaulted by the Taliban and almost overrun. It is written by a soldier who was involved in defending the base and he is a superb writer. He does not appear to have used a ghost writer. I could not put it down. It depicts modern warfare and especially small squad infantry tactics and warfare in all its gritty and terrifying detail.

I believe it is being made into a movie. It is currently available at Exclusive Books and well worth the buy.

User

Default Re: Red Platoon

Agreed! It was a jaw dropper...excellent. Would love to see the movie!!!

User

Ok just ordered book from Takelot.

User

Thanks. Local library has it!

User

Just bought mine at Exclusive Books. Thanks.

User

I downloaded it from Amazon yesterday and I'm half way through - it's awesome. But very difficult to put down once the action starts. Bye bye sleep :)

User

Jip, I also lost some sleep on this one. Very interesting book.

What struck me is that even with such a small unit, basically 12-15ish man platoons, in modern armies rifles are small fry. To us a full auto M4 is a powerful weapon, but here it is a last resort that they grab when all other ammo is gone. Machine guns and grenade launchers are what makes things happen, and all the tactics and movements are based on them. Impressive how much firepower such a small unit can wield.

User

The book also reveals how reliant the Yanks (or any modern military force) are on airpower.

The Apache gunships, MC130 Spectres, A10 Warthogs and the B1 bombers probably killed more Taliban than all the machine guns and grenade launchers and M4s put together. Before they arrived things got really hairy and after they left because of the weather getting bad ....things get really hairy again.