Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mini review: Olight H1 Nova headlamp

Bought this sort of on a whim from Duane at 480bcsupplies.com.

He didn't have stock but arranged through the agent for me. From time of requesting his assistance until I had the unit in-hand was less than 24 hours. Now that, people, is service!

I've been looking for a quality headlamp for a while now. Bought a demo model Petzl Tikka XP for a song, but I really wasn't impressed. AAA batteries, horrible blue tint to the light, mode cycling without being able to jump to high or low directly, etc.

So my research has again brought me to Olight, and specifially the H1 Nova, and more specifically the neutral white version.

Having previously burnt my fingers with Neutral White XM-L2, with my Nitecore MH20 NW, which is truly ugly with a yellow and green tint, I knew I was taking a moer of a chance. But, I bit the bullet and ordered.

Okay, got it on Friday. Unboxing was pretty cool, Olight puts effort into their products.

It comes in a nice hardshell carry case:

And is nestled nicely in there:

It's a solidly built piece:

First impressions were extremely good. The headband is soft, and easily adjustable, the silicone mount is soft and smooth, and the light itself seems very sturdy. It rotates easily enough in the mount, but I don't think it will ever move by accident.

The light as 6 modes, a moonlight mode of 2 lumens, then the 3 "normal" modes of 15, 60 and 180 lumens, a turbo mode of 500 lumens, and a "hidden" SOS mode.

The light itself is about 1mm shorter than the original S1, so it's tiny. It can be removed from the silicone mount and be used a handheld light, and also comes with a removable pocket clip for this purpose. It takes CR123 or RCR123 batteries, which have a lot of capacity in a small package.

I got to use it this weekend while camping in the bush, and my experience with it was as pleasant as I could have expected it to be.

The mode switching is very intuitive. It comes on in the last mode used, and just holding down the power button makes it cycle through the other normal modes. Moonlight is accessed by holding down the button for more than a second from off, and turbo is accessed by a double click, whether from on or off. Turbo is only stored in the memory for about three minutes.

The tint of this light, was to my absolute relief, spot-on. It's not cool white, not warm white, just a nice, neutral, creamy white light. It really is very pleasing to the eye and makes all other LEDs look cold.

The beam pattern is very floody. In recent times I've come to realise the value of a floody light for utility work, whether braaiing or changing a wheel. Due to this though, it doesn't do well in seeing things at distance. In the brochure the throw is listed as 66m, which translates to useful light at about 25 to 30m. Past that you would need a proper torch.

Due to the flood of the beam, the 2 lumen moonlight modes gives similar flux than the 0.5 lumen of the S1, so it makes for a great reading light when it is really dark out. My wife used it to read her book while I was sleeping, and I'm very sensitive to light when asleep. She was able to read fine, and I slept fine.

There is also an externally rechargeable version available, which I could have gotten for the same price. I opted for this one as I am going to use non-rechargeables in it due to their capacity to remain full for long periods of disuse, and because this light is then marginally smaller. The non-rechargeable version also comes with the carry case, which the R version does not.

I found the light very comfortable to use and operate. The infinite adjustment is great, not being encumbered by pre-set click positions. The flood, the tint and the amount of available light are all three great features which I really appreciated. The 500 lumens in this flood really gives peoples that "wow" impression.

Overall I'm supremely impressed with it and have handed down the Petzl to the wife.

If you are in the market for a headlamp, and face, they are incredibly useful, make contact with Duane and get one of these.

Last edited by Skaaphaas; 12-03-2017 at 15:44.

User

Default Re: Mini review: Olight H1 Nova headlamp

Nice review Skaaphaas! Duane is a top man he sorted me out last week aswell.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

I have the H1 myself and am really impressed with it.
    I wanted to get the H1R but at that stage it had not been released yet. It is available now though, so it's definitely something that the guys can look at as well.

Great review. I have the exact same one and echo all your comments. My previous headlamp was a 10 year old Petzl Tikka Plus and the difference is enormous.

User

Awesome review! Thanks.

I might need to look at getting the rechargeable version...

User

Mmmm birthday coming. H1R it shall be.

Stay Bladed.

User

Thanks Skaaphaas, I have been wondering about one of these as a cycling companion. I was put off by the lack of distance, but perhaps 20m is sufficient. Pitty the R doesn't come with the case, but that's not the end of the world.

That 25 to 30m is only on Turbo mode, which it can keep for 3 minutes after which it steps down to 180 lumens due to the heat it generates.

I'd go for a throwy light attached to the handlebar and the headlamp as extra.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Ah yes, turbo and step down. Foiled again.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    That 25 to 30m is only on Turbo mode, which it can keep for 3 minutes after which it steps down to 180 lumens due to the heat it generates.

I'd go for a throwy light attached to the handlebar and the headlamp as extra.
    Yeah unfortunately that's what Olight has on all their torches.
    The H1(R) would definitely still be a decent contender as the headlamp companion to having handlebar-mounted lamps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast