Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mini review: Olight H1 Nova headlamp

Thanks Skaap for the great review! Everything worked for that order. Plus we have a great agent in SA, Henri goes out of his way.

All of Olight's lights (and most other manufacturers) stay on the turbo mode for a limited time to save the battery and more importantly the light itself. Olight is one of the few companies who are upfront about it.

One of these might just find their way in my camping box...and go bag.
    www.480bc.co.za
    EDC, Sport Shooting, Reloading

Very few high-output lights don't have stepdown. Even Surefire and Elzetta have stepdown if you look at their output vs time graphs.

Olight uses a timed stepdown, other may use a thermo based step-down based on heat, which means in cold temperatures it may take longer to step down, which is great for output but leaves with dead batteries very quickly.

I regard turbo on any light as a short-use feature, to quickly see something a bit further away. If you need that sort of light output the whole time, you'll need a bigger light and battery.

An 18650 should be able to give a nicely regulated 500 lumen for quite some time, in a light with sufficient surface area to deal with the heat.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Very few high-output lights don't have stepdown. Even Surefire and Elzetta have stepdown if you look at their output vs time graphs.

Olight uses a timed stepdown, other may use a thermo based step-down based on heat, which means in cold temperatures it may take longer to step down, which is great for output but leaves with dead batteries very quickly.

I regard turbo on any light as a short-use feature, to quickly see something a bit further away. If you need that sort of light output the whole time, you'll need a bigger light and battery.

An 18650 should be able to give a nicely regulated 500 lumen for quite some time, in a light with sufficient surface area to deal with the heat.
    I concur. My Nitecore gets super hot after prolonged use on the maximum mode.
    I've played with the light throw on my H1 and the step-down light is more than adequate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2