User

Default Stable Portable Benchrest

In the past I have tried using a fold-up picnic table with a couple of sandbags in order to sight in a rifle. None of the portable tables are steady enough.
    This is the start of my solution. The contraption is held together with 8 nuts and bolts. Still to be added are the padded 'holders' for the rifle stock and fore-end. These will be adjustable, being welded to the vertical threaded bars at the top.These will be finished this week, as the prototype is to be used next weekend. Once I have checked that it is not too high, it can be painted. Collapsed, it will easily fit in a car boot.

The base and the 'rails' at the top are square tubing. The rest is round tubing, squashed flat at the ends for bolt-holes.
    More pics to follow when it is complete, and in use.
    My camera angle makes it look a lot higher than reality, compared with the plastic chair.

User

Default Re: Stable Portable Benchrest

In use now.
    Next step is to paint it.

Nice but I would turn the rifle through 180 degrees. That way some of the force imparted to the stand will transfer through the diagonal braces downward towards mother earth.

Things to consider;

The current rear leg closest to the shooting box. You could consider dropping it vertically so you can get to a more comfortable shooting position.

Fasten a piece of board below the centre two beams so you have place for you elbow to rest.

Good luck
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Thanks Andrew.
    The rifle IS 180 degrees out! Trust a fellow engineer to notice my laziness to change it around!!
    Thanks for the shelf suggestion. It is a work in progress, which so far does work well.

User

The elbow rest is very important, it improves your stability a lot.