Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Tumbling Media -- SS Pins -- Group Buy for members based in Gauteng (Pta/Jhb)

The pins, I made my own pins out of SS wire by cutting it with some heavy duty wire cutter...took a while but I amazed a kg of the stuff.

User

Default Re: Tumbling Media -- SS Pins -- Group Buy for members based in Gauteng (Pta/Jhb)

Quote Originally Posted by Spez247 View Post
    Do the pins work in a dry tumbler too? My walnut shells arent copeing at the moment, so need replacing...
    From what I have read and the research I have done, the pins do sadly not work in a dry tumbler (viz. which usually needs dry media like crushed walnut shells)...

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    Contact DM Lubbe zero seven nine 508 3159, he sells SS pins at R250 per kg, and Postnet over 5 kg is free. I just bought a kg, looks like good stuff.
    Have now also made contact with David, who is going to be sending me close-up pics of his SS pins later on today/tonight. I just want to double-check that the pins don't have sharp edges/burrs on them which might damage the brass cases. However, based on comments and input received from LSS and Shooty, I may well decide to buy from David (and have taken into account WCF's comments in Post 8 re smoothing off the edges of the pins).

FYI, his price is R250/kg and his shipping price is the usual R100 for Postnet's counter-to-counter service. That said, I have discussed a possible group buy with him and he has indicated that if we manage to get together an order for 6kgs or more, then he is prepared to offer us free shipping (via Postnet but only if it is to one address) (at this stage I will be taking 2 kgs, so I will need at least another 2-3 people in order to get the free shipping).

He has confirmed to me that the SS pins have the following approximate dimensions (1.2mm diameter x 6mm length).

Are there perhaps any other GS members who are keen to buy SS pins and are happy to share the costs (and benefit from the free shipping)?

I live in the Old East of Pretoria and work in Brooklyn, Pretoria. I am also happy to bring the media along to SADPA shoots I will be attending at PDPC/CDPC and MDC in the coming month.

Would ideally like to place the order before the COB on Wednesday (15/03), so if you are keen to participate, please do let me have (a) the weight of SS pins you want to buy (in kgs); (b) confirm if you are happy to buy the SS pins from David or those from BJ Oberholzer (which are around 26% more expensive per kg); (c) details on where you would ideally like to collect them from me; and (d) send me your cell no. or email address so that I can send you my banking details. FYI, I will be asking members to make a transfer of the funds before I place an order on their behalf since I have been stung before by people who change their minds.

Cheers

Tayls; I'll take 2 kgs
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Tayls, out of interest, have you seen brass scratched by SS pins? My logic says the ends have to be somewhat sharp to clean properly. That said, like I mentioned, the pins I got from DM def does not scratch my brass.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    Tayls, out of interest, have you seen brass scratched by SS pins? My logic says the ends have to be somewhat sharp to clean properly. That said, like I mentioned, the pins I got from DM def does not scratch my brass.
    Nope, but common sense says that sharp edges and burrs on the pins will scratch the brass as they rub against it during the tumbling process (as far as I know the SS pins are going to be harder than the brass).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Tayls; I'll take 2 kgs
    Great -- thanks Ross.

We need another 1-2 members so as to get to the 6kg minimum order (currently have orders for 4kgs). Is anybody else perhaps keen?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    Nope, but common sense says that sharp edges and burrs on the pins will scratch the brass as they rub against it during the tumbling process (as far as I know the SS pins are going to be harder than the brass).

I use the pins that came with the Layman wet tumbler and they have sharp ends. they do not scratch the brass as they have no leverage to dig into the brass. Think of it like this, if you drop the pins from 50mm above the brass would it scratch the brass? The pins are so light relitave to the brass they just bounce off. Now add water and the impact is reduced to a light tickle. I think that if the SS pins had rounded ends you will have reduced efficiency and would need to run much longer.

I load 1000 cases and run them for an hour with soap and tartaric acid and they come out brighter and cleaner then traditional tumbling can not do in a whole day. The look like they changed to gold.

User

That confirms my logic The Beast

User

Thanks for your thoughts and input on this Beast and LSS. Having thoughts about your comments and input, I think that you guys are right!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast