Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Becoming a Moderator ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    The fact that it's a privately owned and run group means that content policy is not a 'free speech' issue.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    True and btw M1 is on holiday.

User

Quote Originally Posted by speensalf View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

User

LMFAO!!!!

On the serious side........if there is such a thing.......one wonders why it get's to this. I mean, getting frustrated and even angry on the internet is easy, been there done that....might even do it again I'm sure. But if you otherwise like the discussion or at least some of it at any particular forum.....surely one can hold back enough to avoid a ban? Take the warning given and chill or just stop going there for a while? Take it to PM's? Go outside and smash something you don't really need, to get the fury out. ( Hey, good name for a rap song. )

That said.....at any discussion group, mods are fallible also and can be heavy handed once their own patience has run out or they are just having a bad day.....any number of reasons. For this it is good the moderator group have checks and balances and if a particular mod is getting out of hand, they can reel him or her in.....help the person to chill. I personally feel a mod has to be...or at least should try to be......the epitome of everything they expect the posting members to be. But then do cops, judges, teachers, soldiers, lawyers etc etc always follow the letter of the law?

One thing I know......why would any sane person want to be a mod? AFAIK there is no pay for doing it. You have to do your moderator job every day so you can keep a watchful eye........while having your regular day job and all your own responsibilities at home etc and things you need to do for yourself. Then, given all the emotions and stuff a person can run into on a daily basis in their own life.......you have to deal with a whole lot of people who are bringing same to the forum and some of whom may use the platform to vent, insult others, break forum rules blatantly etc, use thinly veiled sarcasm to get a point across.......things like........
    Banners remain incognito but i think one can equate small minds and tolerances with big names.
    Nah! You'd have to be out of your freakin' mind to want to do this.

So where do I sign up?

Just kidding for realz. Hey mods......you guys do okay here as do most of the members. A good place to hang.

User

I'm a moderator on the biggest action shooting forum in Finland: they needed a steely eyed no-nonsense sheriff and that's what they got, actually two of us. The badboys were kicked out of Dodge and the rest of the troublemakers either went more or less silent or found other places to spill their venom. Now the place is almost self inhibiting because they know that the limits are set and the rules will be enforced. Every now and then we'll have to remind some hot heads of good manners, sometimes but ever so rarely use our only tool: the banhammer.

That said, freedom of speech is impossible when the speech gets moderated. Let it sink in for a little while. Freedom is an absolute, hence it doesn't really exist anywhere but as an idea, freedom of speech dies the moment a moderator (like me) stops someone's rant, was it off-topic, or calling people names because of their origin or whatever the reason. You can't have just a little freedom of speech, just like one can't be just a little pregnant.

Freedom comes with responsibility, but in a miniature civilizations like these forums are, can't be a fully functional legal system, judges, advocates, police force and prisons with corrections officers to deal with breaking the responsibility. The only tools to maintain order are giving advice and inhibiting the freedom of speech, the job for the moderators.

And this is like it just has to be, there's really no other way to do it. I've been hanging around here for about a year and I really like the way the mods are doing their jobs thus making this place pretty much self controlled environment. Plus the gent's around here seem to be extremely polite and altogether great guys with a great sense of humour. And thank you for your understanding for my sometimes quite broken English.

Cheers!

Your English is better than 90% of us.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Skaaphaas...shouldn't that read....'Your English is better than 90% of ours ' [not us]

Please don't ban me.Look at the time of the post

You may be correct. I have 9 hours’ worth of jet lag and I’ll blame anything on it.

User

Who pays those data bills when traveling, must be costly to keep up to date while abroad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oz has free wifi pretty much everywhere.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast