Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Diesel generator service/repairs

Hope this is the correct section for this as the typical topics here seemed the most appropriate.

I have a 5.5 KW KOOP (chinese ) diesel backup generator that ran fine for the past 5 years. It came installed when i bought the house so not sure who the agents are or if there even are any.

I serviced it annually by changing oil and draining the fuel tank and replacing filters. On a recent test run it would start (electric start), run for a few seconds and then die. Almost as if it was starved of diesel but after again draining/cleaning the fuel tank and replacing the filters it still does the same. It would run for a few seconds and die and will not start again. However after standing for about 10 minutes or so it will start again and repeat the same. I checked and it does not seem to be a fuelling issue as the diesel flows freely when removing the hose after the filter. I'm not familiar with these types of engines but assume there must be some kind of electrically controlled decompression valve for starting that could cause issues?

Does anyone know what the cause could be or where to start fault finding? Failing that, any reputable service/repair shops in the Vaal or Joburg area?

User

Default Re: Diesel generator service/repairs

Maybe check the injectors and valves?

User

Does it have a engine driven feed pump?

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

User

Is the fuel solenoid staying open or staying fully open? Blokage in fuel line from tank?

Thanks for the feedback. Will remove all the covers tomorrow and have a look

User

Try bleeding the diesel line.

User

Sounds like it might be a rich cut from too much fuel or too little air. Flooding might explain why the engine doesn't start for a few minutes after cutting out.

Is there any smoke while running before it cuts?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonpie View Post
    Sounds like it might be a rich cut from too much fuel or too little air. Flooding might explain why the engine doesn't start for a few minutes after cutting out.

Is there any smoke while running before it cuts?
    It's a DIESEL! Excessive fuel will just cause black smoke.

Definitely sounds like fuel starvation. Could be air in the injector pump or a blockage somewhere.

A small crack in a rubber fuel hose might suck in some air, but not leak fuel out. At this age it would be wise to replace them all with better quality fuel hoses.

Also check the valve clearances. The valves could be sealing when cold, but heat expansion causes them to stay open and the engine loses compression.

Could also be a bockage in the exhaust muffler.

Another possibility is a heat sieze. Check the cooling system. The years it's been standing still could have caused all kinds of damage to a water-based cooling system. If it is air cooled there could be a blockage somewhere. Wasps, termites and various other insects could have made a nest in there somewhere.

Might be worthwhile to have it checked from A-Z.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    It's a DIESEL!
    My bad!

User

Sounds like air in the system, also make sure you not sucking any air on the lines, filter housing etc. To eliminate the tank, filter and lines put some diesel into a clean container and run it straight from there to the fuel pump.

Also check your ignition switch. When last has the air filter been changed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast