Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dry Fire a Bow

Default Dry Fire a Bow

I know nothing about bows other than a mild curiosity. But Ive been told that you can break a bow if you dry fire it. Has anyone ever broken one by dry firing it or do you just know better? I'm assuming its not the same as dry firing a gun if some breaks its a matter or replacing a firing pin or is the bow now permanently damaged?

User

Default Re: Dry Fire a Bow

Not sure about long bows or compounds but I was taught from young never to dry fire a cross bow, that has stuck with me, would like to hear from those more experienced too.

Stay Bladed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    Not sure about long bows or compounds but I was taught from young never to dry fire a cross bow, that has stuck with me, would like to hear from those more experienced too.

Stay Bladed.
    Compound bows are the same. The reason is the kinetic energy in the string is not being transferred to the arrow (as there is no arrow), so the kinetic energy is transferred back into the bow's body which can then damage the bow.

This is all based on a bow hunting talk that was held at our hunting association a couple of years ago (so not expert opinion).

So dry firing any type of bow is a no no?

User

Big no no to dry fire a bow. All the kinetic energy that was supposed to be transfered into the arrow, gets transfered into the body of the bow. So on a compound, you can end up with a broken string, bent cams, broken or cracked limbs etc. If a string does brake or a limb does break, you can end up with some serious bodily harm as well !

User

Never dry fire a bow, whatever bow it might be. You might be lucky and come out the other side with no damage or you might have to replace limbs, axles, cams and strings...

I havent dry fired one, just curious about archery and was just checking. Or maybe Ive been watching too much Walking Dead

User

Its like the guys have said, it's not going to end well I have seen a few dry fires and the energy that is re-absorbed by the bow is destructive to say the least.

One big problem is also there could be hairline fractures within the riser and limbs which would compromise the strength of these parts and on the next shot or even once it has been repaired, it could still fail.

I was looking at something like this : http://www.potshot.co.za/index.php/b...ghthawk-detail

Just for fun, not for competition or anything.

There's only one archery school in my area and its not really or sport or past time around my community so there isnt really anybody for me to ask for advice

Is there anything else I shouldn't be doing?

User

Quote Originally Posted by feroze View Post
    I was looking at something like this : http://www.potshot.co.za/index.php/b...ghthawk-detail

Just for fun, not for competition or anything.

There's only one archery school in my area and its not really or sport or past time around my community so there isnt really anybody for me to ask for advice

Is there anything else I shouldn't be doing?
    What area do you stay in? Why are you looking at a recurve?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast