User

Default Semi Auto for bird shooting in Gauteng and Free State.

Howst Guys.

Is there a specific law or regulation that states that a Semi Auto Shotgun cannot be used to hunt birds or is it just an ethical belief?. Been Searching the net trying to find info on this but cant find any clear answer.

I have bought an o/u specifically for bird hunting and if there is a law or regulation against using Semi Autos for bird hunting, i would like to add it to my motivation.

I do own a Semi Auto which is licensed under Sec 16. I do a couple of group bird hunts with my Semi, I do use my plug when shooting in a group but still get the odd dirty look every now and then. So i used this as an excuse to buy a o/u

Any info will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Semi Auto for bird shooting in Gauteng and Free State.

As far as I know you may hunt pigeons (not sure about game birds) with a semi autoas long as it's limited to only take two shots. Need to insert a blocker into the magazine so it can only take two shots.

But would be interesting to hear from other guys.

User

As far as I know you can use a semi auto as long as it has a blocker restricting you to 2 shots. Semi autos and pumps are not always welcome at some shoots especially when you are new to a group and this is mainly from a safety point of few.

User

As far as I know

Probably is the worst combination of words when it comes giving advice on things legal.

The only place it is legal by default is KZN, and then only when the magazine has been permanently modified to take only one shell, with a gunsmith report to confirm.

The other provinces you apply for a permit to use a prohibited weapon and in the permit conditions, it reminds you that you are only allowed to load 2 rounds at a time.