Thread: .223 Ammo

User

Default .223 Ammo

Hi Guys,
    My licence has just been approved for my Stag Arms 16" .223.
    I would like to buy some Ammo in the interim before i start loading my own rounds.
    I will be using it for 3 Gun and DMG.
    What would a good weight and make to use?
    Do you know anyone who is having a special on a bulk buy?
    I am a complete beginner regarding .223 as any advise would be great!
    Cheers!

User

Default Re: .223 Ammo

Welcome to the AR Club, most things AR’s are centered around a 55gn to 69gn projectile, for example if you buy a BDC AR specific scope that’s generally what they are calibrated for. Me I started mine out using PMP 55gr FMJ’s I found them around R100 for a box of 20,(currently 120 at S&O I think) the brass isn’t bad for plinking and practicing and can be reloaded just fine. Just don’t expect sub MOA out of these trust me it’s the ammo not your rifle.

I just used to buy a few boxes a month until I got all my reloading up and running and by then I had 2000 cases good to go, I just had to ream the primer pockets properly the first time as the premiers where hard to seat, Now I just get Frontier Tips and reload away, I’m up to my 6th batch now I think, great for plinking and speed training at short distances.

Later I got higher quality brass which I use for longer ranges with heavier tips above 70gn, just a word of caution though if you do decide to load heavier tips just be careful of what you buy as your limited by the length of your magazine, so for example Hornady A-max you can’t seat deep enough to be able to fit a standard mag, and watch out for cheap tips as well if you have a high twist rate I had some el’cheapo 70gn tip which disintegrated as soon as they left the barrel, target looked like I was using a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdbatty View Post
    Now I just get Frontier Tips
    heavier tips above 70gn,
    load heavier tips
    el’cheapo 70gn tip
    Here's a free tip.... they're called bullets.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

W-O
    As said on the phone, buy up what you can and run it.

Later you can play with reloading batches on specific brass.

Get a Dillon Case gauge and a Sudami X-Ring case trimmer as a minimum. Build on that with other kit.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Thanks Trundel last time i used the word Bullet in a post some people assumed i was referring to the cartridge as a whole, and gave me hell for that, I just wanted to make sure anyone one else reading this didn't make that same mistake.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdbatty View Post
    Thanks Trundel last time i used the word Bullet in a post some people assumed i was referring to the cartridge as a whole, and gave me hell for that, I just wanted to make sure anyone one else reading this didn't make that same mistake.
    Shouldn't happen on this forum. We are serious about proper terminology