Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1911

User

Default 1911

Good day all. I have an Ithaca/Colt 1911 that has been my trusted carry gun for the past 10 years. The serial number dates it at 1945 and on it is printed Property of United States Army. Does anybody know how much it is worth, and will it lose value if I have it reblued?

User

Default Re: 1911

First we have to establish wheither it is an Ithaca or an Ithaca/Colt hybrid. Some detailed pics might help.

Generally, these wartime production 1911A1's are not worth much in SA, around R4 - 5k in decent condition. This is not the same as in the USA, where an unmolested example could fetch 1000 USD and more.

If some parts have been swopped, it has no collector value.

Keep in mind that these pistols were made in a great hurry and were specified to last a mere 5000 rounds. This was deemed more than enough to defeat the Axis. (The fact that many are still around proves that right.) The part were the most short cuts were taken was the slide, and specifically in the heat treatment. This causes the slide to crack in the ejection port area, at some point. Some last longer than others. The rest of the parts are quite durable, hence the many built-up guns on these frames.

So please post those pics, including close-ups of the stampings on slide and frame, and also all the other parts.

The outcome will determine wheither you should preserve it in original condition or modify (pimp) it to your heart's content.

There are 2 WW2 1911's on the current Classic Arms auction, 1 being a Colt described as unfired with an estimate of R16,500 and the other an Ihaca in original condition, with an estimate of R12,500. A comment on the Ithaca is that they are scarce in SA.

So assuming your Ithaca still has the original WW2 parts and has not been subjected to the 70's upgrades, it's value to a collector may surprise you and I'd not reblue unless you intend keeping it as a shooting FA for the foreseeable future,

If still

User

Estimates on auction are one thing and the selling price another. The Colt may go for that but I doubt the Ithaca will fetch half of what is estimated. From the auction pics it seems to be original. In the 80's I remember seeing an importers store room with newly arrived surplus Ithacas... and there must have been a few thousand on those shelves...

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNC View Post
    Estimates on auction are one thing and the selling price another. The Colt may go for that but I doubt the Ithaca will fetch half of what is estimated. From the auction pics it seems to be original. In the 80's I remember seeing an importers store room with newly arrived surplus Ithacas... and there must have been a few thousand on those shelves...
    There were indeed many imported. Some of my friends bought one. They are probably more scarce than a G19 or CZ75, but not rare. Many of these 1911A1's were also armoury-rebuilt. While all original parts, they were not all original for that specific frame.

We should not confuse a WW2 production 1911A1 with a commercial production Colt pistol. While they share the same JMB design and parts are mostly interchangeable, they are not made to the same specs and their values differ quite a bit here in SA.

User

Thank you for all the advise. Will take some pics and upload it. Maybe that could shed more light on it.
    Just got Glock 41 and if it won't affect the value I want to send the 1911 in for a well deserved make over.

User

You wasting your money doing that... It's never going to be a great shooter and you detracting from it's current value.
    Keep it original

User

Further to my previous post, I have attached some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Trigger looks 1911 not A1 and looks like the bushing has been changed.

Gun looks stock enough that I would get a 1911 collector to look at it before you do anything to it.

He may be able to change those and the grips out and have a worn piece of history rather than a refinished kinda rough old gun

User

There is a distinct difference between the slide and frame finishes. This might indicate a replaced slide or refinished frame, or even both. Have it checked out by someone more knowledgeable than me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast