Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Springer Spaniel

just post pictures for us love puppy pictures but at same time will remind me how much work they are and i will stop thinking about that wire haired pointer so much

User

Get ready to start training - there are some great books available. I would contact a trainer asap to find out what you should and shouldn't do - I made some big mistakes and it has cost me dearly to fix them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

I bought a copy of Training Spaniels by Tom Irving on the kindle. Great book

Get the stop and recall nice and solid, then take it hunting, the birds will do the rest :)

my dog thinks its name is SIT

User

Thanks for the tips guys. I have got the Tom Irving book and read it once already will read it again in August before I get the pup. I have spent hours on the internet reading up about training Spaniels . I am really nervous and will chat to gundog trainers closer to the time. My old memory lets me down regularly now a days so don't want get info to far ahead of time.

User

First thing get a whistle and every time you feed the pup give four short blasts on the whistle. You will make this your recall. Probably the most important command.

Once you get him to sit you should give one loud blast on the whistle the next most important because it becomes your stop and plant your bum on the ground command.

The most important thing is to be consistent and not to try too much for the first while.

For retrieving I used to throw a dummy down the passage with the doors all closed so there are few distractions and only you and the pup in the passage they get used to brining right to you. Only do three or four each time. I did this just before supper and gave her a kibble of her supper each time.

Don't be tempted to drag the pup off shooting too soon. Another big mistake I made. Took my girl out at 6 months to a pigeon shoot and spent the next six months fixing the problem.

I bought a cheap kids cap gun and let off a few shots when she was eating to try get her used to the noise.

I'm no pro but once I had the basics and she was about 18 months old I sent her for hunting training with Matthew Berry in Hartebeesport. Now at three she hunts like a dream.

User

These are the whistles I use

There are many ways to introduce young dogs to shot. They can vary on the dog as to how successful they will be. Tread carefully though, firing off a cap gun while dog is eating, may work for some, however it might also create more problems.

Bear in mind these are bird dogs, if you base your training around birds, you generally get their attention.

User

It was just to try sensitize her to the shot. Like I said I took her hunting too soon and after hearing that first shot she was terrified. After that I eventually got her right with the cap gun.

What finally made all the gears click for her was shooting a bird while she was about 40m from me. As soon as she saw it fall she "got it" and we have hunted successfully since.

I thought I had a gun shy hunting dog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast