Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Savage 11 BTH .243 - Ejector Pin Broken/Stuck

Hi Guys,

I must say, this forum has saved me a lot of frustration lately with repairs to my rifles, I thank you all!

Latest repair:
    The ejector pin on my .243 is stuck inside the bolt or broken.
    I have shot some very hot loads through this and popped a good 60 primers (long story) so I'm thinking this could have caused the pin to break.

I stripped the bolt today but cannot for the life of me get the ejector pin out.

Pictures for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Savage 11 BTH .243 - Ejector Pin Broken/Stuck

If you have stripped the bolt and put everything back where it should be and the pin is still that far down, it has most likely broken. Have you tried pushing down on it with a nail or pin punch to see if it will return to its correct position? Perhaps strip your other bolt and see if the plungers are the same length. If not, then it most probably broke. If they are the same length, its probably getting hung up somewhere. Give the bolt a thorough cleaning before re-assembling it and see what it does.

It may be a long story ..... but I am curious as to why you did not stop when you saw the extractor hole imprinted on brass. These are rather extreme pressures not to mention popping primers ........ 60 of them.

These pressures may well have peined the hole closed not allowing the pin to protrude anymore. From the picture the pin looks all glossy and not broken. Can you show the reverse view of picture 1.

Safety must always come first, shooting very hot loads will do nothing but to accelerate any metal fatigue.

Can you tell me what your load was. Would be curious to see what QL calculated the pressure at.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    If you have stripped the bolt and put everything back where it should be and the pin is still that far down, it has most likely broken. Have you tried pushing down on it with a nail or pin punch to see if it will return to its correct position? Perhaps strip your other bolt and see if the plungers are the same length. If not, then it most probably broke. If they are the same length, its probably getting hung up somewhere. Give the bolt a thorough cleaning before re-assembling it and see what it does.
    I can't get the ejector pin out, so putting everything back together isn't going to solve the problem.
    I've stripped it according to a guide on YouTube, and it all went smoothly except for the ejector.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    It may be a long story ..... but I am curious as to why you did not stop when you saw the extractor hole imprinted on brass. These are rather extreme pressures not to mention popping primers ........ 60 of them.

These pressures may well have peined the hole closed not allowing the pin to protrude anymore. From the picture the pin looks all glossy and not broken. Can you show the reverse view of picture 1.

Safety must always come first, shooting very hot loads will do nothing but to accelerate any metal fatigue.

Can you tell me what your load was. Would be curious to see what QL calculated the pressure at.
    It was about 2 years back when I just started reloading. Started out with 87g Bergers with 41g S365 and it wasn't impressive. I then moved onto 90g Nosler with no better results on the same powder and quantity.

I then decided to move onto 105g A-Max, didn't change the load or the COAL, and that where the kak started.

The reason I carried on shooting them was that I was in a 1km shooting comp against my mates. As you can see by the picture, the bloke next to me didn't feel to safe with my shots.

I have learned my lesson though and everything is now by the book!

365 or 335. Something does not add up. What was your COL?

S365
    69.33mm

That in QL as a coarse first pass load does not reveal any pressure issues?

Ever Chrony your loads? If so what was your A-Max speed?

I'll get the exact load for you in the morning. Speed was over 3000fps

Now on 38g S365 with 105g A-Max and running 2920fps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast