Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Cover (with no fault lines)

So I was just reading through the rulebook (yes, I might have been bored) and I was mistakenly thinking that in case of no fault line the old cover rule still applied of 100% legs and 50% body.

To my surprise I found no definition of what cover is or what being in cover is except for fault lines. So if there is no fault line I can pretty much do whatever I want with my body position as long as I at least slice the pie.

I see no 100% legs and 50% torso. I know that at the latest SO training there was something said about 50% of the shooter can be presented to the target but I've found nothing of this in the rulebook.
    Is this simply a case of someone's interpretation of the rules again? A.K.A. making brown smelly stuff up?

Like when we did the DQ when someone catches his ejected bullet on unload, show clear.

I'm keen to game it up at SNats and I need to know what is considered "cover" if there are no fault lines at a PoC. Gamers got to game.

Default Re: Cover (with no fault lines)

AFAIK there will be no such situations at SNATS.

1.2.3A says "a portion" of your upper and lower body must be behind cover.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Cover is dead. It's all fault lines now.

User

3.6.1 Fault Lines must be employed by Match Directors to mark the limit of a Position of Cover or shooting positions for a CoF

3.6.3 D. Other measurement methods for determining cover must not be employed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    AFAIK there will be no such situations at SNATS.

1.2.3A says "a portion" of your upper and lower body must be behind cover.
    Excellent I missed that. However "portion" is not really quantified and would be very hard pressed by any SO to enforce this. Hence I have to agree with Telelestai that cover is pretty much dead. 1/16th is still a portion. So is 1/64th. ;-) Math. Who would have thought I would need it in IDPA.

I didn't think that at SNats the guys would allow a situation like that to exist seeing it is pretty much unenforceable to give a cover call now if not for violation of fault lines.

User

No proof but I expect there will be fault lines at SNATS.

User

SafeActioned quoted the rulebook. That's the end of the discussion really. The Match Director has discretion in how he places fault lines and his placing will determine what portion of the body will be behind cover. I've heard there were some "interesting" issues when fault lines were placed too tight at a major match in Gauteng earlier this year. And I've shot in a match where some fault lines were very lenient. Clearly, the MDs have their work cut out to get this right.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    SafeActioned quoted the rulebook. That's the end of the discussion really. The Match Director has discretion in how he places fault lines and his placing will determine what portion of the body will be behind cover. I've heard there were some "interesting" issues when fault lines were placed too tight at a major match in Gauteng earlier this year. And I've shot in a match where some fault lines were very lenient. Clearly, the MDs have their work cut out to get this right.
    But at least it is consistent for all competitors in a match (i.o.w. fair). Unlike SO-discretion cover calls previously.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    But at least it is consistent for all competitors in a match (i.o.w. fair). Unlike SO-discretion cover calls previously.
    Agreed. One can never keep all people happy though, some are now moaning about the "spirit of IDPA" being killed. If the "spirit of IDPA" was inconsistency, we shouldn't grieve at its demise. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Can a spirit even be killed? Isn't that how the spirit came to be in the first place, ie when they killed IPSC?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast