Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Advice on Howa rifles

Hi gary-t

Remember we cannot get G19s and even the G17s have this crazy Aus compliant barrel (4.8 " minimum I think ) extending out past the front of the silde, and of course the 10 round mag limit, because as you know, if your handgun is shorter than 4.8" you immediately pose a danger to society.

G17 gen 3 $755.00 (approx R7812.00) and gen 4 $825.00 (approx R 8536.00) - std black colour with two mags.

As you can see, the price difference is greater between rifles than handguns when compared to SA .

User

I have a Howa .308 heavy barrel.

When I bought it, we could only get them with 24 inch barrels so I didn't have to make a decision on barrel length.

I have subsequently had the barrel shortened to 20 inches and it handles much better and is far better balanced than before. The rifle no longer feels so front heavy. (In fairness I need to add that I that I have always preferred shorter barrelled shotguns & rifles). Change in muzzle velocity was about 80 ft/s, which is negligible.

Most of my shooting time with it has been on the range, next most time has been voorsit hunting and for the small amount of walk & stalk I have done with it I haven't struggled with the weight.

I think having a good sling makes a huge difference and I also think that we often underestimate the way a scope affects the handling, balance & weight of a rifle. Maybe we could call it "perceived weight". A standard weight 22 inch barreled rifle with a 5-25 x 50 target scope with 30mm tube might feel large heavy & awkward in your hands compared to a 20 inch heavy barrel with a 3-9x40 hunting scope.

So I got the .338 win mag Howa with standard barrel a few years back and had Arms add the silencer. I then got a Boyds prairie stock and tossed the Hougue. I took it hunting two weeks back and it was heavy but not unmanageable. I clocked about 50 kays over the 4 days through the bushveld.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3