User

Default Black powder shotgun loads

I am getting a black powder break neck shotgun but have no idea how to load for it. Do I need a license for this classic.

User

Default Re: Black powder shotgun loads

Yep. You will need to licence it, as well as get black powder competency and permit so you can buy the black powder to reload the shells. Be prepared to spend LOTS of money on the powder :)

Banned

I have 2 12ga. SxS B.P.shotguns.
    I don't know how easy or difficult it is to obtain components in za but you will need black powder or a suitable substitute for a percussion gun. Only real black powder will work with a flintlock. You will also need O.P. (over powder) wads, cushion wads (usually lubed), and O.S. (over shot) cards. Of course, you will need shot of the desired size also.

Most loads are, what is termed here, a "square" load meaning the same volume of powder as of shot. The order of loading is powder, O.P. wad, cushion wad, shot, and O.S. card.
    If your pattern has a bare spot (hole) in the center, reduce the size of your cushion wad by cutting it in half or thirds. This reduces the mass of the cushion wad which can blow through the center of your shot column and give poor patterns. Some people find that 2 or 3 O.S. cards stacked give better patterns than using a cushion wad. Every shotgun and load produces a different result. Much experimentation is needed.

I just re-read your post and saw that it is a modern-type shotgun. Please disregard the above instructions unless you also have a muzzleloading shotgun.

User

Sounds like a LOT of trouble. Thanx for the info. Will think about this one, but it is a beautyful gun to let it go to waste.

User

Head over to www.whitesmoke.co.za and ask there, although the site is a bit quiet.

Where is Mic? He knows these things.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk