Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Silencer for 10/22

Epsilon - I have tried a search and came up with zilch. Would it be possible to post links to the threads that hold the pics?

User

Can someone post a pic of the end of the barrel?

User

Hi Sweet
    Couldn't find them myself either!
    So, new photos here.
    The barrel with frontsight is a Webley 22lr target pistol. Stainless steel piece silver soldered on to end of barrel, then threaded in lathe.
    The other one is my Howa 308. Here the threaded piece was manufactured and glued in position.
    The loose threaded piece is one which failed my quality control. It shifted slightly in the lathe. Also, the particular steel did not blacken properly.
    I did the same for a friends' Anschutz 22lr. No permanent mods to the metalwork of the gun. No photos available of this one.

User

While I know many people do use the "slip-on" grub screw retained type supressors, I do find them to be somewhat insecure. A threaded barrel is just so much better.

Yes, you will have to sacrifice the front sight. This does not bother me, as I use a scope anyway, even on my 10/22.

Also keep in mid that a supressor will cause lots of blow-back through the barrel, causing a much faster build-up of firing residue in the barrel, chamber and action. A 22 LR already being particularly dirty, this extra dirt tends to gum up the action quite rapidly. Not an issue when hunting, but a big problem for sport shooting and even plinking.

The point is, you may want your supressor to be quickly removeable. This is possible with a threaded mounting, but not so much with the slip-on type.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Thanks AR that makes a big difference. I suppose it would then be best to have the barrel threaded and the front sight done away with.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Thanks for the pics Epsilon. Very nice work, BTW!

A-R, thanks for your input. Makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Ok after some thought I got hold of Danie Joubert and will be meeting up with him to look at removing the front sight and threading the barrel.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2