Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Military Ammo?

User

Default Re: Military Ammo?

I have for years pulled the heads and dump the powder and re load with my worked out loads , works well for general hunting , just bare in mind that the 7.62 mill round do have a different diameter as the .308 hunting heads , small but there is a difference

User

How are you legally pulling people's heads? Isn't that assault?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    How are you legally pulling people's heads? Isn't that assault?
    Ek is afrikaans man ! give me a break

Wow thanks for all the information guys this has been really helpful!! I would like to just shoot them out as is to lesson time. Does the same follow for the 223 rounds?

Bullets, not heads. Koel, nie kop nie. Die kop is die ding op jou tr.... Ah, never mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 19-04-2017 at 05:18.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

[QUOTE=Wanderin' Zero;1163168]Bullets, not heads. Koel, nie kop nie. Die is die ding op jou tr.... Ah, never mind.

User

ok , Bullets

User

7.62x51 NATO ammo is generally loaded to a lower pressure spec than 308 Win. So it is safe. The case necks may be a little thicker, so if your 308 Win rifle has a tight chamber, the cartridges or cases might be sticky. Not dangerous but not very convenient either.

Do watch out for some imported batches with mild steel bullet jackets. They look just like any copper-jacketed bullets, but a magnet will cling to them. These might be hard on a soft sporting barrel. Hammer forged military barrels seem to shoot them very well.

The same does not apply to 223/5.56. The pressure specs for modern 5,56x45mm ammo is higher than for 223 Rem. Also, the 5.56 has a longer leade (freebore) designed to accomodate the newer 62 gn bullets. This ammo might (will) cause pressure issues in a normal 223 Rem chamber. Our locally (PMP) made 55 gn mil surp loads were actually sold commercially as 223 Rem and should be safe in a 223 rifle.

User

R1M1 is quite popular with people who know what it is down here. Wasn't long ago where 10k rounds changed hands in a single transaction - think the offer lasted all of 48 hours online.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    7.62x51 NATO ammo is generally loaded to a lower pressure spec than 308 Win. So it is safe. The case necks may be a little thicker, so if your 308 Win rifle has a tight chamber, the cartridges or cases might be sticky. Not dangerous but not very convenient either.

Do watch out for some imported batches with mild steel bullet jackets. They look just like any copper-jacketed bullets, but a magnet will cling to them. These might be hard on a soft sporting barrel. Hammer forged military barrels seem to shoot them very well.

The same does not apply to 223/5.56. The pressure specs for modern 5,56x45mm ammo is higher than for 223 Rem. Also, the 5.56 has a longer leade (freebore) designed to accomodate the newer 62 gn bullets. This ammo might (will) cause pressure issues in a normal 223 Rem chamber. Our locally (PMP) made 55 gn mil surp loads were actually sold commercially as 223 Rem and should be safe in a 223 rifle.
    Great my 308 will then handle those rounds perfectly fine, will do some testing on tomorrow and come back with results. Thanks for your time explaining this,I have some of those PMP rounds that your talking about too. I ran them thru a chrony and got a result of 3267 fps with the 55grainer. I don't know what powder is in these ones but I pulled one and it weighs in at 25grains.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast