Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which new 1911 for classic division?

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post
    If I had the money to buy a Classic gun now, it would be a Colt Competition 9mm.
    If there are any left

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I'm looking for 45ACP. Need to use the 45 dies and 1911 mags I've already bought...
    No, no and no, you don't. You want to shoot 9mm 1911 in Classic, like all the guys on the top of the SAPSA Classic log.

User

Depends on how competitive you want to be. If you want to compete at the top of the national log, 9mm is definitely the way to go. If you want to have fun shooting, but are content to be a little way down the log, a 45 will serve you well. And a 1911 just needs to be a 45 right?

On the more specialized (read expensive) guns, after sales service might be an issue, since they have a few specialized parts. If you have a more generic 1911, parts are not an issue, as most are available from various makers and are stocked by quite a few local shops. I can source almost any wear part from Rescomp. Importing from Brownells is also not all that difficult.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Depends on how competitive you want to be. If you want to compete at the top of the national log, 9mm is definitely the way to go. If you want to have fun shooting, but are content to be a little way down the log, a 45 will serve you well. And a 1911 just needs to be a 45 right?

On the more specialized (read expensive) guns, after sales service might be an issue, since they have a few specialized parts. If you have a more generic 1911, parts are not an issue, as most are available from various makers and are stocked by quite a few local shops. I can source almost any wear part from Rescomp. Importing from Brownells is also not all that difficult.
    I want to have fun with a 45, so ja should have maybe posted this in general handgun section. If I'm going to be spending a big chunk of mone on a 1911, it has to be a 45. Got enough 9mm currently.

I am lucky enough to have a Sig Tacops in .45 and the Match Elite in 9mm (just finished repaying her indoors!), both are the traditional shape. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoy them both.

I've had one jam in the Tacops (that was in the first 100 rounds) and since then no jams (now close to 1000 rounds) and no jams at all in the 9mm (about 800 rounds too date).

As the guys say above, if you want to seriously compete go for a 9mm. The Match Elite 9mm is capable of out shooting my average performances but used correctly, it is a potent gun in Classic IPSC, as evidenced by the log positions of the guys who use the Sig and can really shoot.

Here in the Cape, one of the top guys uses a Kimber, I don't think he would be disadvantaged if he used the Sig, I see very little difference in the performance ability of either guns. I see the Kimber has an internal extractor, the Sig an external extractor but frankly internal/external extractor arguments are above my paygrade.

The .45ACP Tacops is just great. The trigger on my .45ACP is slightly lighter than the 9mm and the .45 ACP comes with more magazines and a magwell; given it is a competition gun, I'd have thought the Match Elite would at least get a magwell! Go figure.

I use both Wilson and McCormick magazines in the .45ACP with no issues.

The only issue I've had with the Match Elite 9mm is that the Mecgar magazines don't work in my Sig. The Wilson's, no problem, but the Mecgar don't lock back. Not a problem in IPSC I suppose but I have relegated those mags to practice only...on the rare occasions I dry fire!

Anyway, I immensely enjoy shooting and competing with both Sigs and have difficultly choosing between them each match; so to be fair to both, I use the 9mm in IPSC and the .45ACP in IDPA. The only issue is what happens to the rotation system when I buy the Colt Commander....

Whatever you go for (and if the you get bitten hard by the 1911 bug), you'll find a 1911 is for life, when all other guns are just temporary.

Cheers
    S

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I want to have fun with a 45, so ja should have maybe posted this in general handgun section. If I'm going to be spending a big chunk of mone on a 1911, it has to be a 45. Got enough 9mm currently.
    I see Brendank is selling his Springfield 1911 at a most decent price, elsewhere here on GS.

I regard the Springfield as a decent working gun. Yes, you will at some stage need to work on it, but that is part of the fun for me. I have bought a neglected Springfield, that I built up to an accurate reliable pistol. Gives me great pleasure shooting it, now that it's sorted. And I know every little part in there intimately...

User

Rob Leatham shoots a 9mm if that means anything to you.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    If it's not a Colt

It's a MUCH BETTER copy

:)
    Fixed it for ya... :)

User

if you are looking for a .45, I can highly recommend the BUL 1911 Government. It is very well fitted and comes with a bull barrel and will only require a magwell. You might want to add some other things along the way but it will be down to personal choice. The gun "as is" is incredible value.

Speak to the folks at Rescomp for a price. You can also discuss a "custom built " Classic gun with Tazio at Rescomp 012 333 4768.

*disclaimer: I am a Bul sponsored shooter, but it is without a doubt THE BEST pistol I have ever owned and I would gladly pay my own money to buy any Bul pistol*

User

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    if you are looking for a .45, I can highly recommend the BUL 1911 Government. It is very well fitted and comes with a bull barrel and will only require a magwell. You might want to add some other things along the way but it will be down to personal choice. The gun "as is" is incredible value.

Speak to the folks at Rescomp for a price. You can also discuss a "custom built " Classic gun with Tazio at Rescomp 012 333 4768.

*disclaimer: I am a Bul sponsored shooter, but it is without a doubt THE BEST pistol I have ever owned and I would gladly pay my own money to buy any Bul pistol*

Yeah they're almost as good as a Colt :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast