Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Was robbed today

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    That video was posted after post #91 and that post reeks of the 'let's give them what they want and they'll let us go' attitude displayed in the video.
    Nah, that post indicates an attitude of "I'm not going to endanger my family over a cellphone". Take the phone's cost as school fees and improve your level of awareness and vigilance.

I think it's a bit shocking that some people view it as cowardice if one does not want to show their firearm to get a stolen replaceable item back.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    Nah, that post indicates an attitude of "I'm not going to endanger my family over a cellphone". Take the phone's cost as school fees and improve your level of awareness and vigilance.

I think it's a bit shocking that some people view it as cowardice if one does not want to show their firearm to get a stolen replaceable item back.
    It's not about showing the firearm... we all agree that, that could have been handled better.

The only thing shocking here is the complete lack of will power, so what happens if it's an armed robbery now and (obviously) you are caught unawares is the lesson we hope to drill into the guy that he shouldn't engage cause the BGs have the drop on him and worst yet, he should wait till the bodies drop because he isn't in danger yet?

I'm encouraged by the OPs spirit and if we all tried worked harder in not being such easy pickings maybe we'd get our streets back.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    "His own fault"?? Now that, I don't agree with. Making out like the villain is the victim in this scenario is odd. I agree that vigilance is a prerequisite, but lets not lose perspective. The guy was robbed, he did what was needed to get his property back, he didn't have to use force. He's alive. It's a win.
    Each person is responsible for their own actions, and the original posters own action was that he (himself) let he's own guard down (he clearly admits this in he's original post). The BG obviously noticed this and took advantage of the situation, criminals are unbelievably clever.

If someone leaves a cell phone on a desk at work and it gets stolen, does it give that person the right to go threaten everybody with a FA until the cellphone is recovered - absolutely not and this situation has relevance as the original poster mentions nothing about force or threat (robbery) so what warrants the threatening with the FA. I have read so many times on this forum about rather fleeing than fighting and about not getting involved in unnecessary situations. I personally believe this was an unnecessary situation to get involved in as the original poster could've provoked for something bad to potentially happen by showing he's firearm, especially while BG's are sitting in a car with no visual of whats actually inside their car.

Also, I believe he was not robbed - it was a pick-pocket situation (there was no force or threat). On the positive side, he walked away alive and I feel that we can all learn from this situation.

rob
    räb/
    verb
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]past tense: robbed; past participle: robbed[/COLOR]

• take property unlawfully from (a person or place) by force or threat of force.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    The reason that these criminals take advantage of people is because people have exactly this mindset. "Just let them have it - avoid conflict and don't resist". If you want to try and take my shit, expect resistance.

there's a massive difference between what he did.... and lawful self defence. the OP went BACK to the pickpocket, brandished a firearm to retrieve his goods. that is not "resistance".

User

If he did not brandish when retrieving his STOLEN goods would he have gotten his STOLEN goods back?

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    there's a massive difference between what he did.... and lawful self defence. the OP went BACK to the pickpocket, brandished a firearm to retrieve his goods. that is not "resistance".
    S v Mogohlwane 1982 2 SA 587 (T)

M, after being robbed, went home, collected a knife, returned to the robber and used force to recover his property. He was held to have acted in lawful private defence as it all formed part of the original attack.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Ya. Because according to you, he should have sat down and burst in to tears and told everyone what an unprepared ninja he was? No boetie, he got off his arse and decided not to be a victim and got his shit back, what was unlawful about that?? He was the victim ffs. Good on him.

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    If someone leaves a cell phone on a desk at work and it gets stolen, does it give that person the right to go threaten everybody with a FA until the cellphone is recovered - Also, I believe he was not robbed - it was a pick-pocket situation
    You're kidding me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    S v Mogohlwane 1982 2 SA 587 (T)

M, after being robbed, went home, collected a knife, returned to the robber and used force to recover his property. He was held to have acted in lawful private defence as it all formed part of the original attack.

would you brandish a firearm to get your stuff back afterwards?
    yes/no

would you brandish a firearm to get your stuff back afterwards?
    yes/no
    Did he brandish his firearm?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast