User

Default Primer and Ammo Sale - Legal Question

Good Morning Guys,

Ive looked into previous posts but most of them are from a few years ago or dont answer my question directly.
    Im looking to sell off most of my gun collection and will therefore need to sell off some ammo and primers.
    I have a fair amount of Ammo and ALOT of primers. I know that its complicated to sell primers and ammo privately but guys have also said that you can make the sale through a dealer.
    1) What do you mean by "go through a dealer" Does this mean that I should complete the transaction at a dealer or must it go on their books? I want to stay on the right side of the law for this.
    2) If I complete the sale through a dealer, can I advertise the primers and ammo on this forum?
    Obviously everything will go to guys with valid licenses for the caliber in question etc

Thanks and regards,
    Dani

User

Default Re: Primer and Ammo Sale - Legal Question

How do they say : It is complicated.
    For everyone else reading, as it does look like you have read the act & the below.
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...n-of-the-forum

Extract:
    "
    Because, unlike in the case of actual guns, there is no licensing process in relation to the exchange of cartridges and primers, as a matter of policy we do not permit buying and selling of either complete cartridges, primers or powder on this site. You are however free to buy and sell cartridge cases and bullets."

So unless you have a dealers licence, you will be "stuck" with it, as most dealers will also not take on stock of "unknown" origin as it may become a liability to them.
    Any chance you still have a receipt of where it was bought as you could then probably have it refunded, but the shop would probably not be able to sell it...

Rather speak to your local DFO: Extract " on such conditions as the Designated Firearms Officer may determine. "
    And make sure you get it in writing, this is also not a blanket, e.g. you cannot use someone else's DFO allowed xyz, it will pertain to your specific case.

*Disclaimer not a legal eagle

User

What about donating or swopping them. Obviously to licensed persons.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    What about donating or swopping them. Obviously to licensed persons.

Act: " 3)A person who wishes to sell or donate a firearm to a willing buyer or donee,...." makes no mention of ammunition only a firearm...

*Disclaimer not a legal eagle
    Last edited by SafeAction; 28-04-2017 at 11:13. Reason: *

User

Include it as a "freebie" when you sell the respective firearm.

Where are you?