Page 17 of 152 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

Two people stabbed in Finland. How many in SA today?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Two people stabbed in Finland. How many in SA today?
    I don't think during any of the local stabbings anyone called out "Allahu Akbar"
    For the Europeans it's a terror attack. In our case it's par for the course. We should be outraged by the crime but being outraged without being able to do anything and being ignored by the estate is rater tiring.

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    For the Europeans it's a terror attack. In our case it's par for the course...
    And that is precisely what our problem is. We already regard these kind of barbaric acts as acceptable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    And that is precisely what our problem is. We already regard these kind of barbaric acts as acceptable.
    Agreed. It's not acceptable what so ever. It should never be acceptable, but what is happening is that most people are so punch drunk from all the crime. Not a week goes by that I don't hear of some terrible crime somewhere close.

User

You can't compare one to the other like that.......not only that but it almost sounds like one-upmanship. "Oh you only had two stabbings? We had 74......75 if you count the guy that stabbed himself while demonstrating a knife takedown."

For a country that hardly ever has this sort of thing happen, this is terrible. That door has now been opened. Expect more of the same.

People in South Africa are far more at risk of harm than in Finland. Pretending otherwise is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Agreed. It's not acceptable what so ever. It should never be acceptable, but what is happening is that most people are so punch drunk from all the crime. Not a week goes by that I don't hear of some terrible crime somewhere close.
    Exactly.

One thing that struck me as odd when we came to Aus was all the fuss in the media if someone was hurt in an assault, or worse, killed. Then I realised, we are the ones that are odd, it should be shocking and it should make the news.

That's how perverse you become being exposed to it so often, every day in South Africa.

I now understand why so many foreigners describe us as callous, tense, and agressive, because we are. That is what living in a violent society does to you.

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    I now understand why so many foreigners describe us as callous, tense, and agressive, because we are. That is what living in a violent society does to you.
    Quite right. South Africans are an uptight, suspicious and aggressive lot. Circumstances dictates it.

I fully agree but another way of looking at it is to say that South africans are a psychologically tough (or well equipped) bunch of survivors who don't suffer a meltdown when things happen. While some societies are very safe, for much of human history (and certainly also in much of Africa) violence has been the norm rather than not. That is why the possession of the means of self-protection was also long considered "normal" in most societies. Its only in recent decades that that trend has changed. But the world seems to be changing again. Something is happening worldwide and I foresee a future of more instability and less certainty around personal safety and security. Even Europeans are slowly becoming acclimatised to the "normalisation" of violence again. The latest Barcelona attacks have attracted far less media interest than past attacks.

People and societies adapt to changing circumstances. That perhaps is "normal".
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    People in South Africa are far more at risk of harm than in Finland. Pretending otherwise is ignorant.
    I am not pretending otherwise. Try rather, to understand what I said.

Page 17 of 152 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast