Page 81 of 152 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post

We. Are. Doomed.

Looking for a supercheap housing in the RSA, can keep peace with brutal force if needed, tell funny anecdotes, can cook and I'm pretty good with computers and other tech...
    Look, if you can fix OUR politics and politicians, who are the biggest plunderers our country has ever faced, we will PAY YOU to come live here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Look, if you can fix OUR politics and politicians, who are the biggest plunderers our country has ever faced, we will PAY YOU to come live here.
    Maybe I'll consider that Tommy Shelby allusion...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    We should get Tommy Shelby to sort out all the shit around us.
    With help from Dexter and the Punisher.

User

...with those guys and with some help from my trusty friend, Moska (a short sledgehammer, also "trash") who got a new upgrade which I've been torturing...testing for some time.

This Value Manufacturing upgrade package is called AK2.0M3

Me likes a lot

Since the front and rear rails are on the same plane, you can use off the shelf flip-up sights of your preference.

..or if you have the original sights, they can be seen through a groove in the rail system, but I like the flip-ups better. On Type 56s I've seen so far the sights have been assembled way off the barrel axis, so they might be more or less useless anyways...

And of course, if you don't want to go full retard like I do and don't want to drill holes to your rifle, the handguard functions beautifully by itself without the rear rail...

The flip-up front sight is right in the middle of the Aimpoint T-2, so if the battery dies you can still engage human size targets with ease at least up to 100 meters.

There will be one M-LOK shorter version of this handguard very soon and I'll give it a try...and probably shorten the barrel even more if I prefer the shorter one... Oh the endless quest for perfection

User

There was a delivery for me few moments ago and I have a confession to make:

I succumbed to the Black Friday after years of avoiding the craze.

But there was an excellent offer at Brownells Finland, so what can a man do but to do what man does the best: spend some more money on new toys he really doesn't need, but... Actually I've been looking for a handy PDW stock for vehicle work, so lets see if the Viper PDW lives up to the task. The Pachmayr grips? I like the way they look, I shall find out how they feel with my 629 and full power .44 Magnum loads

Edit: well, at least the revolver looks nicer now...

Banned

your post are differently pleasing, like the header states. Always look forward to the next one - especially the weather hunt way others do things insights.

Banned

Rollie looks beautiful

User

Thanks guys

That Viper PDW stock is quite an intriguing gadget, so I already installed in on one of my M16 lowers, just to get feel of how it agrees with different upper-lower combinations. Right now it's too dark to shoot safely on my backyard, but I did go inside my bakkie and my wife's car with the short and longer combination and tested the functioning in practice. Now I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning for the first live fire tests. Oh the agony of waiting, but it's just like good old soldiering: always in a hurry to wait...

That said, with my shorty PDW upper, the total length of the carbine stock compressed is mere 65 cm which is good news when working with civilian vehicles.

Pressing a large button under the stock makes it retract by a force of a spring locking itself open automatically without further operator handling. Much better than having to unlock a side folder trying to find room to actually unfold the thing before you can engage the threat. The less there's moving parts and things to remember the better, and you can obviously shoot with the stock compressed.

The maximum length of pull is a tad over 22 cm which isn't very much, but it's quite acceptable on a special purpose system like a personal defense weapon always is.

There's also an additional riser which is supposed to give more support to people with a small chin, but I don't find it necessary. And it lengthens the compressed position, which sort of ruins the idea of the system.

Even with a normal 14,5" barreled carbine upper the Viper PDW gives some always needed extra space to maneuver inside a vehicle. I also prefer to insert a 20 round magazine as an initial ammo supply for the long gun to make my movement at least a bit easier without sacrificing the ability to initiate a quick suppressive firestorm even from the inside of the vehicle if needed.

So far, this has been a fine Friday the 13th

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Some Finn/ South Africa trivia

In the Winter War itself, there was little that South Africa could do to assist Finland. However, the South African Government donated 25 ex-RAF Gloster Gauntlet’s to Finland. These aircraft had been purchased to build up the South African Air Force but were still in Britain, not having yet been shipped to South Africa. Already obsolete, they were used as advanced trainers by the Finns. The Finnish nickname for the Gauntlet was Kotletti (literally “cutlet”). A Finnish Gloster Gauntlet Mk. II, OH-XGT / GT-400 is the only survivor of it’s type in the world and is preserved by the Lentotekniikan Kilta ( Air Force Technical Guild) during 1976-1982. You can see this historic aircraft for yourself at the Hallinportti Aviation Museum (located at Halli Airport in Kuorevesi, Jämsä, Finland

Below, a photo and a couple of videoclips of this historic aircraft, a reminder of old ties between Finland and South Africa.
    Videoclips of this historic aircraft, a reminder of old ties between Finland and South Africa.

De La Rey Battalion took the oath sworn by the volunteers as they signed on to fight for Finland: “As ek omdraai, skiet my. As ek val, wreek my. As ek storm, volg my” (“If I retreat, kill me. If I die, avenge me. If I advance, follow me”).
    Last edited by KK20; 14-12-2019 at 03:48.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Herman Charles Bosman and the Winter War

Herman Charles Bosman (February 3, 1905 – October 14, 1951) is widely regarded as South Africa’s greatest short-story writer.

At the start of the Second World War, Bosman was still in London and on hearing that a Boer Volunteer Unit was being sent to Finland to fight against the Russians, he volunteered to join them as a journalist. He would join the Boer volunteers on their ship in Glasgow and sail with them to Finland. Not in the best of health, he remained with the De La Rey Commando Headquarters Company through much of the War, seeing some fighting and witnessing most of the events that the Commando participated in. He wrote regular dispatches for the Afrikaans and South African newspapers over the Winter War. After the end of the Winter War, shaken by what he had seen, he returned to South Africa and worked as a journalist. During this time he wrote “Another Country Through My Eyes – Stories of the Winter War Commando in Finland”, a collection of short stories about the DeLa Rey Commando in Finland of which perhaps the best is “Snow on the Syvari”.

“Snow on the Syvari” by Herman Charles Bosman – from “Another Country Through My Eyes – Stories of the Winter War Commando in Finland”

Russians? (said Schalk van der Walt). Yes, I fought in Finland with the De La Rey Commando. I know them. And they’re all the same. I fear the Almighty, and I respect His works, but I could never understand why He made the kaffir and the hottentot and the Russians and the rinderpest. The hottentot and the kaffir are a little better than the Russian. When you shoot a Hottentot or a Kaffir and kill them, they will stay dead. That is where the Russian is different. If you do not shoot them just right, the Russian will pretend to be dead and when your back is turned then they will sit up and shoot you. That was how Piet van der Merwe died, when a dead Russian sat up and shot him in the back. After Piet, we always made sure we shot the dead Russians a time or two more to make sure that they stayed as dead as they were supposed to be.
    Last edited by KK20; 14-12-2019 at 04:00.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 81 of 152 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 ... LastLast