Page 92 of 152 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

Enjoy your special day.

User

Happy birthday!

Please post more, enjoy reading your posts, and your photos.

Do get a touch jealous at times, but can live with that

User

Happy Birthday,

How I wish now I had your training and arsenal. Haha.

Hope you will be here to help us if we have questions in this lock down of ours.

I don't want to have to drink my own p!ss on day two, like Bear Grylls.

User

Happy BD, AK-G. Wishing you a blessed day.

BTW, is Finland also enforcing a national lock-down (like SA is) or has the country just shut its borders for now?

User

So ya young whippersnapper are you old enough that we can now call you Oom AK? Happy birthday bro, have a great day.

User

Well Tex, oom might be accurate since I don't feel even one single day younger than 55 years old that I am now...

Thank you everyone, you make me feel humbled and grateful

We don't have a full lockdown, curfew or what ever name we want to use to explain the situation, but something similar factually not enforced by the police. Except for the isolation of the Uusimaa region from tomorrow until 19th of April IF the parliament votes aye. Which will happen for sure this evening, no doubt about it. Most of the mom and pop stores are closed, as are barber shops, beauty salons, coffee shops etc.

We can go out for a walk or to the store or the pharmacists, but we'll have to keep our distance to people, preferably 2 meters minimum, but inside the store this is impossible, so the suggestion is to be no closer than one meter from the other people. Gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited, most bars are already closed and the rest will be until tomorrow if I got it right.

I didn't expect to ever see checkpoints in Finland or witness an internal border control, but we live interesting times now. I'm sad to see this happen, but I do understand the reasoning and I do support government decisions on this matter and follow the guidelines within. I'm pretty sure there will be strong flashbacks when driving through those checkpoints as my work permits. I'll take photos of them and publish them here for sure.

The district isolation doesn't really bother me or my family much, but I was 'bout to visit the hunting cabin, alas now it's no can do. It's the little things over there: the sensation of an indescribable mixture of feelings is priceless when you are in the middle of nowhere in a pitch black forest, wild animals roaming about, in a hot steaming sauna and the only illumination comes from an paraffin burning storm lantern hanging outside the sauna window. These are the moments a man lives to fight and fights to live for... among others.

About illumination, I wanted to demonstrate one way how to spot those who "own the night" with relatively low tech equipment. There I am in the darkness of the night (less than an hour ago) carrying the SCAR executing a swift tactical approach using IR illumination only. But my CCTV cameras can see IR spectrum of the light.

Quite often it's too dark to use only NVGs especially during high speed approach on challenging terrain and of course when you have to identify your target, but utilizing your black light has it's risks. Just something to contemplate while planning your strategies for the lockdown.

User

Young whippersnapper update

A previously totally unknown to me guy contacted me and invited yours truly to check out some of the toys his employer has got. "Heavy machinery I know you'll be interested in." I said "Why not, I'm game" and we decided on the date and time for us to meet in "Depot 5 at these coordinates".

T minus one hour, punched in the coordinates to the the nav, and off I drove. And what a place: dozens of armored vehicles, tracked and wheeled. Army trucks, C2 vehicles, boats... I did take a lot of photos, but for now here's just two with a twist: I bet you guys will easily recognize these lovely vehicles of war?

Number 1:

...and number 2:

I was supposed to be driving the number one, but because of a chain of unfortunate circumstances, the engine failed to start this time. I'll take a raincheck and return to the subject with some video material for sure...

What ever happened to the early spring? Just another day it was warm (like South African late evening winter warm) and sunny, when the chairman of Action Shooters Finland was visiting my compound and we ran some tests on some firearms, like "how to shoot a pistol surrogate like it was actually a pistol..." He's an ex-competition shooter, a combat oriented lifelong tactics scholar, a great friend and a force to reckon with when things start to go south... alas...

...this morning the bloody winter made a cunning comeback...

I woke up 0630 hours, ogled out the window with a hazy pair of glassy eyes my poor brain still in an extremely slow setting trying to process the image, went back to bed and thought to myself "Today is the day to sleep in..."
    The snow will be all gone by tomorrow noon, but no more thank you

User

No 1 is a PT76, I think.

No 2 looks like a T72 or something similar. The extra armour hides it a little.

I'm jealous!

User

No1 is BMP 1. Mo 2 a T 72 variant, probably M1. It has some added armour though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    No1 is BMP 1.
    Correct. BMP-1 was previously used as fast recon and troops carrying vehicle in the Finnish tank forces, we still have modernized BMP-2s in use. BMP series tanks are agile and fast maneuvering infantry fighting vehicles capable of carrying seven or eight passengers. Their armour is thin, therefore the number one instruction to the drivers is "Never stop moving!"

But the heavier one is not a version of T-72, the additional armour makes the tank look more modern than it actually is. It was in perfect working condition, but the fields are now way too wet and soft to bear the weight of that behemoth for an MBT...

I forgot: these MBTs were in use by some Southern African countries and quite a few were destroyed by the SADF back in the day...

Page 92 of 152 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 ... LastLast