Page 84 of 152 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 134 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

Quote Originally Posted by Texasproud View Post
    Damn, That was some fine shooting and flying.
    The man really had some guts: first he disabled the rear gunners, then he flew his plane to 20 meters from the bombers to disable their engines and crew... All this happened within the sight of the ground crew and was also witnessed by the second wave of fighters with Lt Sovelius who were chasing the first wave of lone Lt Sarvanto who's wing man failed to scramble for engine failure. One helluva airshow!

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    The man really had some guts: first he disabled the rear gunners, then he flew his plane to 20 meters from the bombers to disable their engines and crew... All this happened within the sight of the ground crew and was also witnessed by the second wave of fighters with Lt Sovelius who were chasing the first wave of lone Lt Sarvanto who's wing man failed to scramble for engine failure. One helluva airshow!
    The real question is when dogfighting how did he manage to counter the weight of his brass balls when pulling g’s 😂

User

It's called Sisu

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Had to look that up: “To the Finnish people, sisu has a mystical, almost magical meaning. ... It is a Finnish term that can be roughly translated into English as strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity. Sisu is not momentary courage, but the ability to sustain that courage.”

Yup. That’s pure brass balls stuff for sure, that man clanged when he walked. 🍻

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I think so, the only real problem is that since the front pistolgrip is held in place with friction only, it slides just a little forward every time I return the bolt into battery. This may cause a situation in which the front grip will not move far enough thus rendering the shottie inoperable. I have to come up with a solution to fix this problem, superglue will probably do the trick.

A bit of Finnish war history from 60 years ago today, when the Winter War was wreaking havoc and the Soviet scum was targeting our civilian population with their terror bombings trying to break our will to fight. The poor bastards...

On 6 January 1940, Finnish Air Force Lieutenant Jorma Sarvanto set an unbeaten world record by becoming an ace in four minutes. He shot down six Soviet Ilyushin DB-3 bombers in an air combat above the region of Kymenlaakso in South-Eastern Finland.

The Soviet Air Force had conducted bombing raids against the Finnish town of Kuopio in the morning of 6 January 1940. At noon, the Fokker D.XXI fighters based at Utti Air Base were scrambled on a counter-air mission against a formation of seven Soviet DB-3s returning from the bombing raid. Having taken off separately from the other Finnish aircraft, Lt Sarvanto met the Soviet bombers on his own.

However, instead of waiting for back-up, he attacked the tight Soviet formation immediately. Lt Sarvanto put the Soviet bombers’ rear turrets out of action with short and precise machine gun bursts. His accurate shots set the bombers’ engines ablaze one after one. The air combat ended after his Fokker D.XXI’s machine guns ran out of ammunition after he had shot down six of the seven bombers in the formation.

The six DB-3s shot down by Lt Sarvanto crashed in the area between the localities of Utti and Tavastila. The seventh Soviet bomber was shot down by Lt Per-Erik Sovelius in the vicinity of the island of Suursaari. After Lt Sarvanto returned to Utti Air Base, it was noticed that his Fokker D.XXI had received 23 bullet holes, including some in the propeller blades, engine, radio, accumulator and wings.

Sarvanto with a piece of a tail section of one of the six downed bombers.

During World War II, Jorma Sarvanto scored a total of 17 confirmed aerial victories. When the Continuation War broke out in June 1941, he served as a Brewster B-239 pilot. After his promotion to the rank of Captain, Sarvanto served in staff, liaison, leadership and instructor roles. After the war, he continued his military career in the Air Force. Before retiring from active duty as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1960, he served e.g. as Finnish military attaché in London and as Commander of the Karelia Air Command.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

Went to the local police station yesterday and left an application for a permit to buy a 9 mm pistol for sports shooting. The application fee is a whopping 90€ / R1426, but I've noticed that life is an expensive thing...

I have already paid for the pistol: a second hand Glock 19 Pro Gen 4, shot 500 rounds. The Pro model has tritium sights, 2 kg trigger and a longer barrel threaded for a suppressor. Why not Gen 5? This one is over 500€ cheaper than a new Gen 5 is the main reason for sure.

And now I'll just have to wait.

User

...about my application for the gun permit.

There was a document missing from my application I left to the station last Tuesday (proof of active avocation), so after I got it from a dedicated person, one of who can actually write these documents, I emailed it (a scan will do fine) on late Thursday evening to the police station office. On Friday morning I got an email from the clerk to whom I gave my documents thanking for the final document and stating that she'll put the application on the desk of the DFO, which she did: today after six days I got an SMS...

Quote Originally Posted by The Police
    The permit you applied for is ready to be picked up from the police station at address...
    Well, that was mighty fast for a permit for a pistol, the application was approved the very same day the DFO first saw it. It took longer time to book it in the system, to print it and send the SMS than it took to make an approved ruling on the application...and I have never even met this officer The DFO who nowadays handles all pistol permits is the superior officer to the one I'm usually dealing with, so maybe he asked from his subordinate "Who the heck is this guy?"

There it is, a pile of four papers with my signature on each of them: one for the selling party, one for them to send to the police (a notice of sales), one for me and one for my police station when I go there to have the pistol checked by a DFO to make sure it meets the classification of "Pistol 9mm, self loading" as per the permit states. And to file the pistol to the police central gun registry under my name. Every single legal firearm is on that system, so any DFO on any station can check if a person is the actual owner of a certain weapon.

I sent the papers to the seller...who is on vacation in Thailand for two weeks. It's a company pistol, so I just hope there's somebody else who can sign these documents or I'll have to wait for yet another fortnight...

User

Good luck hope someone else can sign.

Wish we were so lucky in our country to have such a simplistic system.

User

Me multiple safes full with firearms waiting for the new to me pistol...

Part of my pistol training regimen is sessions with 100 rounds through a suppressed .22LR pistol, low ready - aim - send it, from various distances between seven to 20 meters. 100 rounds is perfect to me, enough to have repetitions, not too much so I'd get sloppy with my concentration.

This morning almost all of the first about 40 rounds were keyholing and my first thought was there's something wrong with the suppressor. Nope, the suppressor was just fine and to my surprise the last 50 or so rounds made a nice round hole on the paper: the previous 1000 or so rounds had been loaded with softer bullets, but CCI is using harder mix and these bullets eventually dug out the rifling on the barrel. I hadn't noticed the keyholing before, because the previous maybe five sessions I was shooting at steel targets.

Yes, I gave the pistol a thorough cleaning and barrel scrubbing after I finished the session...

Too bad the grip angle on my S&W 422 is different from a Glock pistol, so I may have buy myself a Glock 44 to accompany the G19 I'm so anxiously waiting for. Poor me.

User

Today was the day to stop waiting: picked up the packet, took it home, opened it and...a moment of disorientation. The pistol is Gen 3, not Gen 4. Contacted the seller and the guy who had actually sent the ad on the classifieds I spotted the pistol from, had mistakenly written Gen 4 in lieu of the actual 3...

The selling party is naturally ready to cancel the deal, give my money back and cover my expenses if I'll send the pistol back to them, but after playing with it, I fell in love with its trigger and its natural fit to my hand. Contrary to a popular belief by so many Internet Warriors, I do strongly suggest people to get a gun that feels the best in their hands for several reasons. Military and police blokes don't have such a luxury, but a private citizen don't have to settle for something that was selected by a committee. I did suggest a reduction to the price to soothe my disappointment, let's see what'll happen...

I've always liked the size and feel of a G19, but never before got to get one for myself...

Been nursing my dear wife who's been suffering from pneumonia for the last week and a half. Lucky me, while she's getting better already, I feel the symptoms coming and today has been a day of digesting various chemicals to keep me going until in an hour or two my action plan is 12 hours of sleep...

Page 84 of 152 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 134 ... LastLast