Page 18 of 152 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    I am not pretending otherwise. Try rather, to understand what I said.
    I totally understand what you said. The fact remains though. Violence, is violence. While the reasons for it may differ, the result is the same. Being prepared for it requires a mindset many people don't have - nor do they want it.

User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    People and societies adapt to changing circumstances. That perhaps is "normal".
    Yes, in good way and bad way. One indicator of the good way (at least in my opinion) is the fact that for the next five days I'm participating training for military and police instructors on anti terrorist tactics. This time as a student, next time as a qualified instructor. A few years ago there "was no need" for such knowledge withing the armed forces or the police...

Adaptation in practice.

This is going to be fun: I'm the only reservist, all others are career military and police force personnel... I'll report back if I survive

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Violence, is violence. While the reasons for it may differ, the result is the same. Being prepared for it requires a mindset many people don't have - nor do they want it.
    Yes, I agree with you but I can guarantee you there are also people in SA who don't have the preparedness mindset-nor do they want it. Same as here where I can guarantee you there are many, many people who DO have it......and want it. There are delicate little flowers in all societies.

But guys.....as much at fault as I am .......let's steer this conversation back to........Meanwhile back in Finland. Perhaps discourse or discussion about the serious state of violent crime in SA belongs in it's own thread.

To get back to the stabbings in Finland.......I seriously hope this does not become a new trend there. I don't know how good the various agencies are in Finland....cops and intelligence services etc but I'm sure they have a handle on it. At only 5.5M people it is a small population so I have to imagine radical Islamists are probably easier to keep tabs on.

From everything I have ever read about Finland there is a strong sense of national pride, sovereignty etc etc so I imagine interlopers with bad things on their mind such as Islamists wanting to do harm in the country.....will have a harder time doing it under the radar. Of course these people are slimy pieces of shit and will get away with it time to time, but much less so than in the US or UK where they can hide in their community.

What say you AK?

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I'm the only reservist, all others are career military and police force personnel... I'll report back if I survive
    You'll do good. I'm jealous bud! Just put an ACE bandage on those knees and hide them under your BDU pant's and knee pads and you will be GTG.

User

To my knowledge procured from both public and non-public sources, Finnish authorities have this year only prevented well over 300 "attacks" (the scale is from a beating thorough stabbing to shooting), so the agencies are awake, but this may be too little too late, thanks to the world hugging idiots in the politics.

But even they are going thorough some kind of harsh awakening, hence the special training like where I am right now. A year or two ago there would've been a laud outcry "why are killers from (a big country special forces community) training our authorities?" Now there's a silent approval.

Btw, those guys are both extremely professional and when not working, hilarious: had a great time yesterday drinking beer, eating the poor roadkill-deer, shooting my suppressed AK, AR, Sako .22 rifle and S&W .22 pistol and going to sauna...

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    Yes, I agree with you but I can guarantee you there are also people in SA who don't have the preparedness mindset-nor do they want it. Same as here where I can guarantee you there are many, many people who DO have it......and want it. There are delicate little flowers in all societies.
    Well that's what I meant. But don't make the mistake of assuming that just because someone isn't carrying a gun, and doesn't follow your philosophy on self defence, that he's a delicate little flower. The world is a wild and wonderful place. Judging by your posts, that's something I don't need to spell out to you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    ........... and going to sauna...
    Yes, let us not forget that part of the festivities!

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    But don't make the mistake of assuming ....... that he's a delicate little flower. The world is a wild and wonderful place.
    Absolutely! A well thrown tube of his Shocking Pink lipstick could take out an eye, followed by a blow from his manpurse to the head....the sheer weight of all the make-up and stuff in there, could easily shatter the skull.

User

A break in the training until to a few classes after hard days work in the killhouse. Yes, we call the training facility "killhouse", not "shoothouse"

My toy for the duration, going to be sad when I have to let it go...

Haven't been shot at yet, but shot myself and the bets are on between the instructors Now FOCUS!

User

I was told that Kyle Lamb was spotted last week here in Finland...or it might just have been yours truly

...and now after a very demanding and interesting week I'm certified Entry Operator Instructor, woohoo! ...another diploma to my binder.

User

Looking lean and mean bud! I shaved my Operator beard off.......got bored with it. Now I look like a douchenozzle. I gotta grow it back.

Hey bud, I gotta ask. Is your continued involvement and certification etc etc with mil and LE guys considered a sort of a bonus for you, by them....in light of your mil background and expertise.......kind of a special thing just for you and maybe a few others like you? Or is it all a part of Finland's state of readiness that all able bodied ex- mil guys can take advantage of?

If they will take me given my mil service in SA......I'm moving over there. I'll write my wife....."Sell the house, sell the car, sell the kids, sell everything....I'm never coming back!"

You get to play with way too many cool toys man.

User

"I know a guy" is probably the skeleton key opening different doors

When you've been around MIL/LEO circles long enough either as a full time professional or an active reservist, done your job well and met the right people there will be openings not available for every regular guy. I'm NDA'd to the max on this one, so I can't give any specifics on the chain of events leading to me participating this course, but suffice to say I'm one lucky bastard I had this particular opportunity to earn yet another scalp under my belt. Generally my involvement with the Red Cell unit (next gig later this year playing against a Special Forces unit!), the US company IMTT LLC, my current wartime post and my other involvement with reservists' training opens lots of doors even to an old dude like me. Well, I'm both slow and heavy, that should count for something positive, right?

The knowledge I gain from all these different courses and exercises is shared with other reservists and active duty people via the training I give to them, so it's not just a big-boy hobby but a resource that may at its little part strengthen our community's chance of surviving upcoming challenges.

There were challenges enough for me: running per se with my busted knees and the others on my squad found it extremely funny to let me carry the additional load of 20 kg's of breaching equipment on my back plus the additional 20 kg breaching ram, and naturally the normal kit with the whole shebang of guns and whatnots not letting the ram stop me from doing entries and effectively use the FX pistol. Gotta earn the respect hard way when training with a lot younger active duty personnel...

Page 18 of 152 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast