Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

Sounds like a solid plan Fumbles

I'll setup training facilities for your FRSU and your team's evals may be conducted via the annual Simo Häyhä Sniper Competition. The competition is meant for sniper/spotter teams and the missions vary from close quarters sidearm use to movement in the field, shooting from a small hole to 600m+ barrel inside the room, long range missions with target identification and you'll have to know the fire discipline and proper use of field radio to be able to call artillery fire to your AO, KIM's games, TCCC: you know the drill.

User

Thank you, AK-G: this has been a very entertaining and interesting thread

User

Oh, why is the competition named "Simo Häyhä"? Well, here's some background to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Hayha

What can one man do in less than three months of war... I've heard someone say "the war doesn't need one man". That depends on the man himself.

User

For those who are interested, here is a comparison of the FDF and SANDF. Almost the same budget but very different beasts.
    https://www.africandefence.net/south...-disadvantage/

User

Thank you Herne, this was an interesting read! There are plans to up the active ready to deploy reserve from about 230 000 to 350 000. The Pax Europaea never happened as it was thought to happen.

@ AK-Gunner: What is the load out of the FDF reservists in terms of Ammo, Food, First Aid etc. when they go into the field?
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

A basic ammo load out for the rifle is 180 rounds (six mags), the mission will dictate the actual amount, but this is the bare minimum. You are supplied with CAT, pressure bandage etc, but most of the guys have their own IFAKs with whatever you find necessary. A pretty good source of general info is FDF website, http://www.mil.fi

Most of the active reservists have their own plate carriers, ballistic helmets and all them bells and whistles you might think of, so they can train with their fighting gear. When called for active duty you may use most of your own gear if not all and they are interned to the FDF, so if you break them you'll be compensated, but during exercises you carry them at your own risk.

Jaegers carry their whole life with them...

...while the Utti Special Jaegers go in fast and hard

...and I'm sipping my coffee wearing something casual (with combat flip flops) somewhere at the Navy Command probably somewhere deep in the bedrock somewhere along the coastline...or on an island... or on a Navy vessel. No more running, rappelling nor any other heroic stunts for me. Sucks to be old, but at least I can still be useful as an old REMF :)

One of the most fun things I'm a part of is being a member of an Red Cell reservist outfit which makes FDF, Police and Customs Special forces feel the warm thrill of being totally and brutally fucked up by an insidious adversary But this subject is for the moment when there's a camp fire on, beers are opened and it's time for the lies and tall stories

Thank you. Very interesting.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Erm.....you can tell lies and tall stories anytime.....I'm up for it. And of course, I knew who Simo was. Legendary!! Looking back on past wars I have a great deal of respect for snipers of all civilized nations....they were just doing their job. Of course I currently also have respect for all snipers, mil and LE.....but I must make exception for all terrorist snipers and snipers working for despots and evil villains. What they need is a 175gr SMK between the eyes.

BTW....bro......you have the coolest gig ever, my brother. Quit yer sniveling about being old and out of shape. I'm guessing your idea of out of shape is still 120 notches above the average dude in pretty good shape. You ex teams guys are all the same. I know so many non active SEAL's and Special Forces old guys and all they do is bitch about not being in the game anymore. Most of them are still tuff as fucking nails too other than bad knees and lower backs. Some still do independent work overseas or do odd jobs for GRS etc, deploy all over the damn place. I envy them something fierce. I'll take the weeks of boredom intermingled with serious shit once in a while for whatever the going rate is these days...... $750 a day or so plus PD's. I know a guy who is 53 and still goes over. Of course, having been in the Team's is pretty decent credentials to get those gigs.

User

Yeah, one shouldn't confuse criminals with scoped rifles who kill random people with professional skilled sniper teams who are de facto smart weapon systems with strict rules of engagement. The general public and the media very often does that and give these pros a bad name.

"In shape" is relative, but busted joints preventing push ups and pull ups and pretty much running, has got a tendency to slow one down. But I can still dive, rappel, shoot, hunt and use my wit like before, so it's not a life ending situation :) Then again, in 2011 when I was 46 and my left knee with torn ligaments wasn't operated yet (I lied when they asked for "any physical problems?" "Noooo....") I did pass a week long SWAT Operator 1 course knee brace hidden under my pants trying not to rotate the bloody joint... Well, it was a one shot for me "the old guy" (compared to my fellow students) for that training so I took my chances and I passed. A few months after that, to the surgery at last. Busted that knee again at the far end of a long hunting walk, but that's another story...

Reminds me of what happened just before I entered the said course...

A day before the first day of the course I was SO ready, gear: check, attitude: check, weapons: check, health: check(ish). No problemo señores! I was confident with the physical test that would start the whole course: 2 miles run under 17 minutes, push-ups, sit-ups etc. Running with a busted knee is like hedgehogs having sex: be really careful! But I new I could make it in 15 to 16 minutes, no problem.

And then in the evening, I stepped on a bumblebee. Bare footed. And naturally the bloody thing stung me on the sole of my foot.

I'm used to wearing shoes, boots, whatever, so the sole of my foot is soft as baby's butt. And now there was plum sized swelling and pain from hell. Didn't have vinegar where I was bunking nor any other magic available, just embrace the suck, boy! Next morning I woke up with the same swelling, with the same pain and with a cold realization that I just might fail the course the first bloody day of the whole week! The thing is, you just have to pass the physical to attend, if you fail, you can hang around and learn, but you can't participate fully and naturally you won't pass the course. Not an option.

Enter The Test... The whole idea is that every task you have to make during the test is right after the two mile run: it's easy to do 40 push-ups in a minute etc. but to perform right after the run (which to our surprise was a scored event, not just pass/fail!) is a very different challenge with your energy level low. Another surprise was that the run didn't take place on a flat arena, but on a side of a road with uphills and downhills. My confidence was collapsing like a cheap garden chair...

I did manage to put on my running shoes and I started my run. I got into the familiar rhythm with a little twist: ouch-step-ouch-step-ouch-step-ouch-step-ouch-step... but managed to keep the pace pretty much normal. There were guys on the turns guiding us, so we didn't have a chance to get lost on our way. Except on the way back purple haze of pain mixing up my brain I did take a wrong turn. After a few hundred meters I heard friendly Californian voice shouting "Where the fuck do you think you are going to!", took a U-turn, ran back where I took the wrong turn and...now I've got to hurry!

Back on the track... there's just like 800 meters left...uphill. A training buddy of mine just finished his run, saw my agony and without ever even stopping, he took a U-turn and ran back to me. I guess without him shouting on my ear running by my side I'd probably failed the run and the whole course but with a margin of just a few seconds I made it under the 17 minutes.

The moral of the story?

Don't quit. Have friends. And don't step on the bloody bumblebees.

Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast