Page 64 of 152 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

Promised to give feedback on the KNS adjustable AK gas piston: with my short barrel and stronger than original recoil spring I eventually adjusted the piston to its minimum setting thus making sure the carbine cycles even in the coldest temperatures. After a few thousand rounds without a single hiccup I'm very happy with its performance and I do recommend this product to anyone interested in making your AK run smoother.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated in even the remotest way with KNS or their sales force, I just happened to get one for a present and I like the product a lot thus I dare to recommend it to you guys. Even if it costs almost two thirds of what I paid for my Type 56...

User

Thanks for the update. By the way my 60 round AK mag works great. It gives me a little more time between mag changes. A couple of buddies say I'm cheating, Clint says that is a good thing. Picked up another one.

User

Thanks for the info: got to get me a 60 rounder or two...

"Always cheat, always win."

Pure wisdom.

User

What is "enough guns"? Don't have a clue, but now my M16/AR-15 stash is in harmony: the number of uppers equal the number of lowers. Still got to invest on NV + IR laser gear, but now the numbers add and there's optics on top of each of them, plus a good stash of ammo in magazines to feed them all.

As you might've guessed I just built another upper: used an extra upper receiver from my stash, a low profile steel gas port and an M16 bolt carrier I had floating around, bought a new bolt assy, mid length gas tube and a slightly used 14,5" barrel, mid gassed with a bit oversized gas port I'm taming with an extra strong recoil spring and a H2 buffer. If the overgassing becomes a problem (should not) I'll get the port plugged and re-drilled by the company I bought the barrel from. Got it cheap, very cheap, since it's been on special sabot ammo demo use by the said company, but it's in very good condition.

Since I've got the tools and know how, my peers ask me if I'd replace their old fashioned quad rail graters with their modern equivalents: sure I'll do it and they usually let me have their old components like this Omega 12 rail by Daniel Defense. It's out of production, but the last price tag I've seen on one is 325€/R5171. Not cheap, but the quality is something very different compared to the Chinese copies made of some magical unknown to the modern metallurgy aluminium-kind-of recycled material...

Put this one together yesterday, tested it on my backyard and the lil' carbine works like a charm.

Summer is coming: gotta go out to the evening sunshine with some contemporary science fiction to read. And a gun.

User

Hi
    what muzzlebrake/quick detach set up you got on there?

User

That would be Ase Utra Borer Lock flash hider, compatible with my Jet-Z 5.56 CQBS/BL suppressor from the same Finnish company. Very sturdy piece of kit, comes with a thread cover, but I don't find it useful with a thread this coarse.

The reading session was quite enjoyable

User

That would be Ase Utra Borer Lock flash hider, compatible with my Jet-Z 5.56 CQBS/BL suppressor
    Thank you for that.
    Which do you prefer or recommend for 223/5.56 semi platform,
    the above, or the saimaa quick detach set up ?

User

Mechanically they both are rock solid. SStill is much quicker, but I don't think it should be the main deciding factor for which one you should purchase. As suppressors, both work fine as per their design parameters: Ase Utra doesn't manufacture as efficient low back pressure version compared to Saimaa Still, not even close to my experience (I'm not alone with this one), but Ase Utra keeps zero better thanks to their manufacturing process of using casting (=internally symmetric outcome, but impossible to repair) vs. CNC machining by Saimaa Still (=less symmetric, but lighter weight and easy to repair).

I do prefer the almost non existent back pressure of Saimaa Still on my AK and AR's, but especially with an adjustable gas block the Ase Utra is indestructible option and for a sniper rifle, I'd go with the Ase Utra for sure.

Hope this helps you make your choice

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Mechanically they both are rock solid. SStill is much quicker, but I don't think it should be the main deciding factor for which one you should purchase. As suppressors, both work fine as per their design parameters: Ase Utra doesn't manufacture as efficient low back pressure version compared to Saimaa Still, not even close to my experience (I'm not alone with this one), but Ase Utra keeps zero better thanks to their manufacturing process of using casting (=internally symmetric outcome, but impossible to repair) vs. CNC machining by Saimaa Still (=less symmetric, but lighter weight and easy to repair).

I do prefer the almost non existent back pressure of Saimaa Still on my AK and AR's, but especially with an adjustable gas block the Ase Utra is indestructible option and for a sniper rifle, I'd go with the Ase Utra for sure.

Hope this helps you make your choice
    durabilty/longevity always a factor on high price tickets, so yes, thank you!

User

You're quite welcome, I'm happy if I can help

This morning I was doing some boring stuff, something remotely work-kind-of chores when I suddenly realized there's a beautiful early summer day outside: sun is shining, birds are singing, it's +20°C in the shadow... And I haven't zeroed in my latest build! Since I have to send my M4 Aimpoint to be fixed (something hit the rotating switch hard and it doesn't work properly) I put my old Comp ML3 with an Eotech 3X magnifier on it and went to the range. The backyard that is.

Put the target 25 meters from me, I'm using renewable target stands whenever possible...

...and five rounds later the carbine is zeroed in, so that I can aim to the center and hit a face...a plate up to about 230 meters with the hot 55 grain GGG ammo I'm using. Btw, it should say "D24" on the target: two clicks equals one eight mm square on the paper at 25 meters. Might move one click to the right, but with this heavy trigger I call shooter's error (the last shot was high, the one before a bit to the left) which should never be corrected by adjusting your sights. Close enough.

About the trigger: when I shot my first round, I was thinking "did I really leave the safety oBANG!"

This full auto lower has got obviously an equally full auto military issue trigger group, which is something quite different from those people call with the misnomer "mil-spec". The only "mil-spec" trigger group is either a full auto or three round burst trigger group, all other are civilian groups which are more or less standardized, alas there's nothing "mil-spec" on those semi groups. Even the worst civvy group I've ever tried has been lighter and smoother than a real deal FA group, which is rather heavy on its trigger pull, the burst group being even worse with three different trigger pulls.

Well, maybe it's OK when everybody knows what they mean by "mil-spec", but I'm just the cranky old me nitpicking like I do

Page 64 of 152 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 ... LastLast