Page 77 of 152 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

When I was zeroing in my new AR build and its Holosun RDS on my backyard, I again found out that these micro red dots aren't perfect to us old FAGs, nor people with even the slightest case of astigmatism. Using a 3 x magnifier with a diopter adjustment helps at least to a certain degree, but a magnifier without it makes things even worse. On my two Aimpoint T2s the dot looks like a banana and on the Holosun a it's bit better but it's hard to tell on which part of the blur I should aim with. Not really important unless I try to shoot accurately on a longer than 100 m ranges.

With the older and larger red dots, like Aimpoint CompM3 or M4? No problems at all even with 6 x magnifiers. It's got something to do with the length of the tube I guess, please correct me if I'm wrong since I'm really no expert on the subject matter.

So it's me, not the products.

While zeroing in I realized that the winter is coming again, even if the Game Of Thrones lacklustered to its sorry end...

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    When I was zeroing in my new AR build and its Holosun RDS on my backyard
    always nice when one can do that....

User

Yes it is, indeed. Just changed the gas block on one of my carbines and now I have two choices: drive an hour to the closest range, function test the weapon, make a personal note "nope, it doesn't cycle well, I've done something wrong" and drive back to debug the system or just step outside and shoot...

In a few moments I'll know if it runs or not

User

...and it does run nicely: ejection is 90 degrees right, and there's no damage to the rim of the casing. The ammo is GGG -brand 55 grain FMJ.

User

The Galil rear sight is about 4 mm (if my memory serves me correctly) higher than the original, so the AK type front sight should have to be cut and some material added. Not a simple task for a home tinkerer.
    Thanks

User

The Galil rear sight is about 4 mm (if my memory serves me correctly) higher than the original, so the AK type front sight should have to be cut and some material added. Not a simple task for a home tinkerer.
    IIRC the thread on the front sight is M6 x 1. Should be easy to make a plan.

User

True!

User

Thank you Sir

This is my first take on Holosun sights and I'll report back when I've got some data on the subject. Like "did it fail under my brutality".

I had that exact Holosun model on my 5.56 AR for around 4 years, and at least 10k rounds.

It's been awesome, done a ton of competitions, as well as a few Sas events, one where I even took a tumble leaving the dam and smashed it down onto a rocky surface and for good measure I came down on top of it.

Never lost zero, but the mount did come loose once, but I put it down to not torquing it properly.

I just recently moved it over to the 300blk, and it's done maybe 400 / 500 rounds through that gun and also been great so far.

I'm quite impressed by the brand, and plan on picking up a couple micro dots in the future for handgun, shotgun and possibly offset on the 5.56 as it now runs a variable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    Ohhh!!! Is that a Model 14 Target Masterpiece??? I would love to get my hands on one of those Here in SA they are really scarce.

Mine is beautiful :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Mine is beautiful :)
    A photo would be nice

So, I was looking for a 3X magnifier and happened to find me a good deal on a good-as-new second hand Vortex VMX-3T magnifier with a flip mount. When using the included shim plate the Vortex aligns nicely with the Holosun RDS.

It is designed to flip on the left side, but I found it much better installed the other way around. The diopter adjustment (focus dial) makes both the focus and the red dot look sharp and true, even with my sorry excuses for eyeballs.

Flipped to the side, the magnifier sits higher than its Aimpoint counterpart, so debris and oil sprouting out from the ejection port when using a traditional suppressor won't be so much of a problem, alas there will be a blind spot on the right side of your peripheral vision.

It'll be interesting to see how does the Vortex take the "normal wear and tear" associated with yours truly...

Page 77 of 152 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 ... LastLast