Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Nikko Sterling Panamax 4-12 x 50

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher View Post
    Hopefully not on a springer, quick way to kill the scope.
    Out of curiosity, why are air rifles so notoriously hard on scopes (asking because I have heard this numerous times).. Can it be harder than a recoil of a 270 / 3006 etc? Vibrations / Harmonics? Educate us laymen please :)

User

I understand it's because the rifle scope is designed to take a rearward impulse, but an air rifle recoil is forward (as the spring releases and slams forward and the driven piston stops)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher View Post
    Hopefully not on a springer, quick way to kill the scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    You took the words out of my mouth.
    Gasrammed, so shouldn't destroy it too quickly. About 200 pellets so far without damage. If it hold up on a springer, then it will definitely suffice for a .22/.223.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Out of curiosity, why are air rifles so notoriously hard on scopes (asking because I have heard this numerous times).. Can it be harder than a recoil of a 270 / 3006 etc? Vibrations / Harmonics? Educate us laymen please :)
    The recoil on a conventional rifle is in one direction, hence scopes are primarily designed to withstand this force. On a springer there is three distinct actions, recoil to the rear as the rifle is fired, then as the piston comes to a halt the action is pulled forward and finally harmonic vibration of the entire rifle as the spring settles, of course this happens very quickly.

For a springer the scope must be designed to handle these different forces, especially the transition from forward momentum to backwards momentum which can impart huge g-forces and then the vibration imparted into the scope without the benefit of dampening is also quite severe.

If that's the case, maybe I will just keep it for a .22 or something.
    I did however read on a review that is perfectly capable of handling heavy magnum rifle recoil.

"Rated for airgun, rimfire and centerfire use - it is dual sealed and capable of handling the heaviest-recoiling magnum rifles"

How true that is, I guess we will find out. But will definitely not use it as my hunting scope.

User

Good evening all,
    A quick question: If the Nikko Stirling is an inferior product, why would the manufacturers provide a guarantee for life? Or have I read the Warranty incorrectly?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tangfolio View Post
    Good evening all,
    A quick question: If the Nikko Stirling is an inferior product, why would the manufacturers provide a guarantee for life? Or have I read the Warranty incorrectly?
    Doesnt matter what guys that never owned a NS is saying, NS diamond range scopes are very good and it is priced even better.

User

A lot of manufacturers offer lifetime guarantee. Honouring it may be tedious or easy depending on the how the system works.

I have vortex crossfire, cheap scope, ok for .22 but cannot stay focused between range trips. The rep will pick it up from local GS and send it for repairs, the problem persists however.

Others have no Rep in country and you need to mail it to country of origin. This can result in all kinds of complications regarding customs and duties and is time consuming.

Finding out you have a dud can be very expensive, just in range ammo trying to figure out what's going on, never mind the already mentioned, wounded animal scenario.

Why take the chance, it came as a package because it is a bottom range product.

I would use the rings and bases without any concern.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2