Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: 7.62x39 for hunting?

I agree that 308 is a much better idea for this application.

Messor, on the S265 vs S321 story. Remember that a 44mag has more native case volume. This is why S265 is a viable option. Even relatively low charges (70-75% fill) generate 92%+ powder burn. The trade-off is at 3-5k psi more for a given MV than S321. That said, even at 100% fill on S321 you get 85% burn at best and pressures nowhere near the potential of the cartridge.

I tested some 120gr brass monos on S265 week before last, and on some charges, had ES of 3 and 6 fps. Granted there were also spreads as high as 23 and 32fps - including some control S&B factory rounds.

This week it's 150gr SP, 174gr FMJBT, and 155gr brass mono - which required a longer COL that just clears in a steel mag. 57mm or setback. Fortunately the relevant chamber COL has an additional 3mm to spare beyond that. Milspec chambers.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Default Re: 7.62x39 for hunting?

@Andycap, my recent tests show that the varying dents in once-fired brass have almost no effect on the results over the chrony. For the sake of empirical evidence I'll include some brand new brass next time too for comparison, but truly doubt there'll be any major differences.

As for different loads in the same calibre, I have no problem setting up a second turret plate with a separate set of dies etc. Already doing this for 357 vs 38 anyway. In the end I expect to end up with a "heavier" load in the 150gr range for use with a brake, and probably the Sierra 180gr for suppressor use - I currently don't foresee this being subsonic by any stretch. All with stiffer springs fitted obviously. Currently got the ALG in the 56 and 2 backup Wolff XP springs - 1 will go in the M92 when the can is fitted.

If I were looking for a bolt action that eats milsurp, I'd much rather get something in 7.62x54 with some legs on it. If the SVD groups 0.95MOA at 300m on milsurp ...
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4