Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I need a custom mount

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Making a one-off of something as complex as that scope mount will cost more than R2.5K at a decent machine shop. That doesn't include the (re)design time... and then you're not always 100% sure it's going to work perfectly and it'll probably require hand-fitting at the end anyway. Just spend the money on the right thing.
    Yeah, there's an element of unreality about the amount of work making such things. In my short gunsmithing career I made a surprising amount of parts and other bits and pieces because it was that or nothing. As you say it is very labour intensive. I had customers accuse me of gouging for charging R300 for a hand made firing pin. They could, they said, buy one for R100, ignoring the point that if they could buy one they wouldn't be asking me to make one. A firing pin took four to eight hours depending on the complexity. The one I made for a Miroku o/u took longer because I had to make a special spanner to unscrew the breech plug.

The mounting system on the OP's rifle is a bit unusual to say the least. I'd need to see it personally to be sure, but I think the best course would be to modify a commercial product rather than a full custom job. Might also need some minor work to the receiver.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post

The mounting system on the OP's rifle is a bit unusual to say the least. I'd need to see it personally to be sure, but I think the best course would be to modify a commercial product rather than a full custom job. Might also need some minor work to the receiver.
    I won't do the last bit but I have been thinking about modifying a pair of 14mm rings for quite some time. All it really needs is a set of rings with one screw in the base and someone who can make a round cut in the base of the mount.
    Still haven't got round to accepting this as my only option though. I'm still worried about how secure it will be and whether the rings I find will be high enough for the scope.

User

You could try these guys,
    https://www.disenengineering.co.za

I drew up a 3D drawing of the P14 mount I wanted, sorry no pictures on my phone, but I used this and other as my inspiration,

http://addleyprecision.com/product/p17/

They did a great job and price was reasonable.

If you would like name & email addresses of the guy who helped me, send me a PM and I will look it up.

User

Excellent Nomad, thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2