Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Gun Owner's Responsibility - Hijacking

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    The pillars of society started crumbling when humans stopped caring about strangers.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I hope you, or your family, are never in a hijack situation looking behind you. At someone. Just watching. Doing sweet f#%£all because he cares more about legal implications than your life threatening predicament.
    Guys: why are these strangers not in the position to defend themselves? Why are they helpless and defenceless in a society as violent as ours? Why do we assume automatically that other citizens, simply because they are armed, should shoulder all the responsibility and all the accountability (and the consequences that go with it) because the victim is not willing to do so themselves? What if what you are seeing is not what you think you are seeing, and you end up making the situation worse and end up in a situation like Finkelstein?

You are oversimplifying a very complex situation and projecting some sort of moral code onto other people that don't share it, and you are rubbishing their reasons for not looking at the world and society with the same eyes as you do.

People can make their own choices, and live with the consequences of doing so.

EDIT PS:

Would society and the strangers we are supposed to care about look after me and my family if I cannot do so anymore because I intervened? Because I frankly do not believe they would. Not even for a moment. And that, my friends, is a fact.

User

I hope you, or your family, are never in a hijack situation looking behind you. At someone. Just watching. Doing sweet f#%£all because he cares more about legal implications than your life threatening predicament.
    would you lawfully shoot to defend a stranger in traffic? with possibility of incurring R100k+ in legal fees.
    yes/no.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    Guys: why are these strangers not in the position to defend themselves? Why are they helpless and defenceless in a society as violent as ours? Why do we assume automatically that other citizens, simply because they are armed, should shoulder all the responsibility and all the accountability (and the consequences that go with it) because the victim is not willing to do so themselves? What if what you are seeing is not what you think you are seeing, and you end up making the situation worse and end up in a situation like Finkelstein?

You are oversimplifying a very complex situation and projecting some sort of moral code onto other people that don't share it, and you are rubbishing their reasons for not looking at the world and society with the same eyes as you do.

People can make their own choices, and live with the consequences of doing so.
    So stuff those who don't want to own a firearm?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Are you willing to spend tens of thousands of Rands in legal costs, and personal kak (confiscation, investigations, etc) .... on a stranger?
    This is again one of those tricky debates. Helping a stranger in need as a good Samaritan vs. not taking the risk due to the effect it could have on your personal life (and those of your loved ones).

I think it is somewhat of a grey area, but at this stage of my life where I am at now, I am only willing to take the risk for those dearest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    Guys: why are these strangers not in the position to defend themselves? Why are they helpless and defenceless in a society as violent as ours? Why do we assume automatically that other citizens, simply because they are armed, should shoulder all the responsibility and all the accountability (and the consequences that go with it) because the victim is not willing to do so themselves? What if what you are seeing is not what you think you are seeing, and you end up making the situation worse and end up in a situation like Finkelstein?You are oversimplifying a very complex situation and projecting some sort of moral code onto other people that don't share it, and you are rubbishing their reasons for not looking at the world and society with the same eyes as you do. People can make their own choices, and live with the consequences of doing so.EDIT PS:Would society and the strangers we are supposed to care about look after me and my family if I cannot do so anymore because I intervened? Because I frankly do not believe they would. Not even for a moment. And that, my friends, is a fact.
    I hear you, MS. However, we should guard against assumptions and blanket statements. Every situation is different, there is no "one size fits all" - I know you know this. The most we can plan for is to be prepared - for whatever. And hope to be in a position to act if the situation allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    would you lawfully shoot to defend a stranger in traffic? with possibility of incurring R100k+ in legal fees.yes/no.
    Depends.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    So stuff those who don't want to own a firearm?
    Where did I use the words "Stuff those who don't own a firearm"?

My duty as a citizen of the Republic is to summon the emergency services and authorities, and to observe and report. To be a reliable witness, and to testify in a court of law regarding what happened in order to see justice done. I can assist the injured and secure the scene.

You are not a policeman. You do not enjoy the legal protection and special privilege of a law enforcement officer. If you feel the need to protect society, then join as a police or law enforcement reservist.

It is unreasonable to expect total strangers to put literally everything on the line for other total strangers because such behaviour conforms with the fantastical representation of the ideal society.

User

Depends.

User

Quote Originally Posted by NavyCalcro View Post
    the ambiguity of threat to property vs life, (being a car theft by definition)
    I don't see an armed hijacking as a theft. What they are saying when they point a gun at you is "Do what I say, or I'll kill you", which is precisely a threat to life

Depends.
    You shouldn't even entertain Lian's yes/no questions.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast