Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Mapungubwe national park, anyone been there?

It's in northern Limpopo bordering Zim across the river. Thinking of visiting this park in September. Would like to hear impressions from members who have been?

User

Default Re: Mapungubwe national park, anyone been there?

I have a few times years ago just after it was opened. I was living in Alldays at the time and it was a quick and easy pop in.

Very lekker views of the river etc. Not sure about the quality of the game viewing these days.

It is worth a visit in my opinion, nice part of the world.

User

Yes was there with the family last June. Well worth a visit and doing the guided (you can't wander off on your own) walk across the valley to the hill and to see the limited excavations open to the public. The visitor centre, designed by Peter Rich, won several international architectural awards and is also worth visiting. The drives along the river and to the confluence of the Limpopo and Shashe rivers and the views from the heights above into Zim and Botswana are great for sundowners. Saw plenty of elephant close up in the bush along the river and cheetah on the floodplain. There are also some bunkers and graffitti left by the various SADF units who did duty there pre 94.

Definitely worth a few days visit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    I have a few times years ago just after it was opened. I was living in Alldays at the time and it was a quick and easy pop in.

Very lekker views of the river etc. Not sure about the quality of the game viewing these days.

It is worth a visit in my opinion, nice part of the world.
    Thanx for the reply. I am more interested in the scenery than game viewing. I understand it is quite dry with lots of koppies and hills, also some baobabs?

User

Yea then its def worth a visit. Very dry area but the Baobabs and Limpopo/Shashe confluence make its a good trip.

Nice viewing decks etc along the river.

We were there about three years ago and in some respects found it somewhat disappointing - not much wildlife to see and the archeological museum wasn't open to the public (I don't know about now). The rest camp seemed new and neat. We didn't try the restaurant.

The only reason we went was to visit the northern most point of the country. The treetop walk through the fever trees is amazing and the viewpoint over the confluence of of the Limpopo and Shazi rivers separating SA, Zim and Botswana is quite spectacular.

User

Ha I would definitely checkout that SADF graffiti. The sanparks description says the area was home to an ancient civilization. The golden rhino was found there. Sounds really interesting!

Going there again in September. The campsite, Mazhou, at the other entrance is great. Very rustic, and very wild. We had trouble sleeping with a leopard rasping so close to us, every single night.

Like the north of Kruger, game is not plentiful. Birding is superb.

I really enjoyed it. We did some of the 4x4 trails and had some spectacular landscape scenes.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I was there in the mid 90's before it was a national park. Does the Park allow access to the top of the Mapungubwe hill where the remains of the settlement are?

Yes, on a somewhat expensive guided tour.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast