Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Shot placement assitance: Gemsbok

Hi All

Once again I need to draw info from the experienced hunters. Thanks in Advance.

I plan to shoot a gemsbok in this years hunt. All shot placement images on the net only show broadside shots.
    In order for me to be happy with the 3d picture of the gemsbok internals, please see the pictures below, red dots are where I intend on putting the cross hairs.
    (note I know image 4 has animals behind the target animal, I will not take such a shot).
    I probably would not take the shots in pic 2 and 3 or the first 2 bucks in pic4. Not until i get some more hunting experience at least.

Attachment 25885
    Attachment 25886
    Attachment 25887
    Attachment 25888

User

Default Re: Shot placement assitance: Gemsbok

I've not shot gemsbok. In general, you may be aiming a little low. In the sense you have margin of error if you shoot high, but not low.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned

Last photo, two animals on the left: one alone facing away but looking back, and the leftmost animal in the group looking towards the right. (My phone shows marks for heart shots?)

I would not attempt these shots because the heart lies behind the rib cage which could deflect the bullet, and the heart is on the opposite side of the animal. I once almost lost an impala when a 180gr Nosler Partition deflected off the rib cage on a frontal shot at a similar angle.

You would probably have to put the bullets of these two shots through a part of the intestines.

User

I shot mine slightly to the rear and lower than your first photo. It went down immediately. Heart shot and almost no meat damage. To be honest, it was not the greatest shot ever, as I had aimed at about the level of your dot. But just behind the joint.

User

Google Africahunting, they've got "see-through" shot placement pictures.
    But practically, the vitals are in the same place as that of our other antelope. Try and avoid heavy bone if the calibre/ammo combo isn't up to it, and it'll be fine.

User

A nice trick you can do. Buy one of those lifesize poster targets, then hang a bell at the back where the heart should be. Use a pellet gun from different angles and shoot the bell behind the surface of the target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

The first two pics the shot placement is spot on
    The third pic I would move my point of aim a bit more to the right...i would rather shoot between the two shoulders ..the trajectory on that pic looks like you will end up in the right hand shoulder and most probably only puncture one of the two lungs. And believe me a gemmie can and will go a very long way with only one punctured lung.
    The last picture is difficult because the red dot cover up a lot of the gemmies...personally i wouldn't take any one of those shots
    Gemmies are tough, very tough . Try at all times to puncture both of the lungs and be very careful not to shoot to high. Be careful on the follow up they are aggressive.
    Ill place a picture now of a gemmie skeleton..then you will see why i said to be very very careful of not shooting to high..
    If you go for a heart lung shot and the animal drop in its tracks..immediately chamber another round and be ready to get some more lead into it if it gets up again
    Some of the best meat you can get...happy hunting

User

Banned

Gemsbok with ginger marinade. Enjoy!

User

The only advice I can give, also as a bit of a noob in the hunting game, is that you need to be sure of your shot, and be fairly quick with it. Gemsbok don't stand around at all, they seem to always be on the move. Our hunt the past weekend showed this. My SIL wanted to shoot one, never quite got the chance, as they don't give you much time to take a shot.

As I said, my limited experience, so take it as you like - good luck with the hunt however!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast