Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Vektor SP1 Sport - Guidence required

Mechanically, the SP1's locking mechanism is not suited to extensive use with 9mm Major-level pressures. It will not last.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Mechanically, the SP1's locking mechanism is not suited to extensive use with 9mm Major-level pressures. It will not last.
    For interest sake. Does anyone know the difference in specs between SP1 9mm and SP2 40SW wrt to pressure, chamber and frame thickness and locking pin thickness etc

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    For interest sake. Does anyone know the difference in specs between SP1 9mm and SP2 40SW wrt to pressure, chamber and frame thickness and locking pin thickness etc
    The locking wedge is the exact same part. I have seen my fair share of broken ones, most occoured with below-max 9mm loads.

User

Default Re: Vektor SP1 Sport - Guidance required

Good day,

Some info on 9mm major in the SP1.

You use this info at your own risk.

I helped with load development on my friend's SP1 Sport.

A load of 6.5gr S221 with 147gr Frontier RN and using Wichester small rifle primers, made a power factor of 165 in Kenneth's gun.

Obviously start lower and work your way up using a chrono and watching for excessive pressure signs.

Load the rounds as long as you can fit in the magazine and will cycle reliably.

Use once fired or new brass.

Regards,
    Gideon

User

How closely does the SP1 match the M9s design? I remember hearing about a bunch of SEALs eating the slide of their handguns because of hot loaded 9mm in their pistols.

User

Just a quick update.

Said friend will continue with the pistol as is in current configuration. Obviously in open minor without optic. He will then later on after testing an optic on the range make a call on his next steps, if any.
    He has indicated sticking to minor regardless with this specific pistol.

Thank you for all the advice so far.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Moomin View Post
    Just a quick update.

Said friend will continue with the pistol as is in current configuration. Obviously in open minor without optic. He will then later on after testing an optic on the range make a call on his next steps, if any.
    He has indicated sticking to minor regardless with this specific pistol.

Thank you for all the advice so far.
    Great choice. Kenneth has also returned to shooting minor

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    How closely does the SP1 match the M9s design? I remember hearing about a bunch of SEALs eating the slide of their handguns because of hot loaded 9mm in their pistols.
    The key differences are in the slide and safety. The slide is closed on top, and much reinforced in the locking block cut-out area (where the 92's tended to split). It is also heavier, due to all the extra steel in it. The safety is somewhat similar to a 1911-type in operation. This is also similar to the original B92, being a frame-mounted conventional safety, no hammer drop. The rest of the parts are mostly the same or very similar to those of the B92. Not sure about the barrel diameters, but they look similar, except for the SP1's (HK-style) poligonal rifling.

I expect the SP1 slide to more durable than the M9's. The locking block is however the same part.

User

I have a Sp1 Sport that done +- 50000 Rounds without a single break of the locking block.
    The Gun is a retired safe sitterat this stage. The super sport with the longer comp and barrel is easier to get to the + 160 factor level.
    It takes a lot of load development to get a load that is reliable , factor and considered "safe"
    Looking back I was really taking risks riding the pressurre dragon with the major/ SP1 combination.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3